• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

winter

1. AAW Winter 2008 Contest

AAW Winter 2008 Contest

Texas Ironwood 7" x 5" x 4"
  2. AAW Winter 2008 Contest

AAW Winter 2008 Contest

Texas Ironwood 7" x 5" x 4"
  3. AAW Winter 2008 Contest -pic2

AAW Winter 2008 Contest -pic2

An Arendal inspired clock
  4. AAW Winter 2008 Contest

AAW Winter 2008 Contest

The inspiration for this came from an Arendal Mantle clock. Black walnut was turned, a portion was cut off for clock face insertion and pendulum detail. Clock cavity was drilled out with forstner bit. The pendulum area cavity was routed out and ebonized with no finish (to create illusion of...
  5. AAW Winter 2008 Contest pic 2

AAW Winter 2008 Contest pic 2

This clock was named by my wife, " Leap Second Whirl " My inspiration for this piece was the leap second added to 2008. This extra second was needed to keep the world's clocks in time with the rotation of the planet. The round clock piece is turned from Jarrah and the off centre...
  6. AAW Winter 2008 Contest pic 1

AAW Winter 2008 Contest pic 1

This clock was named by my wife, " Leap Second Whirl " My inspiration for this piece was the leap second added to 2008. This extra second was needed to keep the world's clocks in time with the rotation of the planet. The round clock piece is turned from Jarrah and the off centre...
  7. AAW Winter 2008 Contest

AAW Winter 2008 Contest

This is a pocket clock 2-1/2 inches in diameter with a fitted lid. The clock fitting is mounted in a piece of rosewood. The lid is laminated from Birdseye Maple, Brazilian Cherry, Cherry, Purpleheart, Walnut, and Maple. The finish is lacquer. This view shows the pocket clock with the lid in...
  8. AAW Winter 2008 Contest

AAW Winter 2008 Contest

This is a pocket clock 2-1/2 inches in diameter with a fitted lid. The clock fitting is mounted in a piece of rosewood. The lid is laminated from Birdseye Maple, Brazilian Cherry, Cherry, Purpleheart, Walnut, and Maple. The finish is lacquer. This view shows the inside of the lid.
  9. AAW Winter 2008 Contest

AAW Winter 2008 Contest

I decided to make a reversible clock to give the user an option to change his decor. The clock movement and stand can be easily interchanged. This photo shows the front and side view of the same clock in the next photo. It was produced entirely from Red Mallee Burl (approximately 9" at...
  10. AAW Winter 2008 Contest

AAW Winter 2008 Contest

I decided to make a reversible clock to give the user an option to change his decor. The clock movement and stand can be easily interchanged. This photo shows the rear and side view of the same clock previously posted. It was produced entirely from Red Mallee Burl (approximately 9" at...
  11. Winter 2007 Contest

Winter 2007 Contest

Multi-axis quilted maple goblet. Turned using the small Escoulen chuck. The piece is slightly over 10 inches tall and 3 inches in diameter at the widest point.
  12. Winter 2007 contest, Goblet from the Garden, backside

Winter 2007 contest, Goblet from the Garden, backside

This is another view of the goblet.
  13. Winter 2007 contest, Goblet from the Garden

Winter 2007 contest, Goblet from the Garden

This goblet was multicenter turned, and hollowed. Some carving was also involved. Insides of the hollows were charred and brushed, lower hollow was also textured with woodburner. Outside is dyed. Upper cup and lower part partially is sealed with "Plastic Coating" which makes this...
  14. Layered Contest

Layered Contest

2.75 dia x 1.25 High. Layered from Brazilian Cherry, Bloodwood, poplar and black veneers. I do not have planer or a drum sander so I used strips of exoctics from wood craft that I had purchased for highlighting segmented bowls.
Back