• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

wood turning

1. C

Make this turned calculator to dress up any desk

Another great turning project from Dick Sing. This turned base really dresses up this calculator which in turn can dress up any desk. These make great gifts for everyone and you can really get creative with your designs! View: https://youtu.be/BKSqIU21Luc Cheers! Chris DeHut
  2. C

Setting up a new chuck on your wood lathe - by Dick Sing

How to get the most out of your new lathe chuck! Dick Sing walks you through the processes of unboxing, deburring, honing, and over all preparing a chuck for high performance use. If you want the most 'value' from your lathe chucks, be sure to watch this video. View...
  3. Mesquite Root Ball Vase 10"H x 11"D

Mesquite Root Ball Vase 10"H x 11"D

10" H x 11 Dia. Mesquite Root Ball inlay-ed with Turquoise. The Root Ball was dug up with a bulldozer in Wichita Falls TX. I rough turned it and I let it dry for about 9 months. After it was dry, I remounted, did the final turning, Inlay-ed Turquoise, Sanded and Finishing.
  4. John Torchick

Marbling in AAW magazine

I was interested in the article in the latest AAW magazine on marbling wood turnings. It brought to mind the technique used for custom fishing rods. The link will get you started. Click on the "button" and it will lead you to the video on this particular marbling technique shown in the lower...
  5. Andrew McCarn

Would adding this bed extension to a Jet 1642 be possible?

Hey everyone, As of now I own a 1642. Love the lathe but the capacity is starting to get to me... I recently got a hold of some gorgeous sycamore that is around 18"-20" in diameter. Obviously I would hate to have to cut that down to the 15" diameter for bowls. I was just wondering if you all...
  6. Andrew McCarn

Can Someone Help me out ( LDD Bowl Drying issues )

So I have been doing the LDD bowl drying method for a few weeks now with pretty great success until recently... I decided to get the big bottles of Great Value Brand Dish-washing Liquid so I could feel up a large container and soak more bowls at once. WELL the outcome was I lost all 8 Maple...
  7. A

High School Engineering group needs your help.

Hello all! I am a student attending my senior year of high school and am in the Purdue University PLTW EDD engineering class. We are required to design and create a prototype for a solution to a problem. Our problem is the wood-turning of non-radially symmetric or irregular shaped woods. -How...
  8. bowlman

Off Lathe Sphere decorating Set Up *PIC*

With my cancer surgery only 1 week away, I have been busy getting things ready so that I can keep busy during the 6-8 week recovery period. The surgeon says i will be unable to and not feel like lifting anything over 10 lbs, so, I have been preparing for things I CAN do that are light weight...
Back