• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

1/4 in round skew

Well another question has arisen..I have been using a 1/4 skew, or trying to use is maybe a better term, how should one go about sharpening it..I have a wolverine, should I just use the skew arm on the jig and sharpen that way?...it doesn't seem to cut great anymore, and I had been just trying to hit the bevel with a diamond stone, but it seems to be past that now...Dennis

Dennis -- I made a round skew based on info from Bob Rosand in an AAW journal a couple years ago. I sharpen mine -- actually all my skews -- using the skew jig that is one of the add-ons for the Oneway Wolverine system. I've read lots of negative comments about the skew jig but it works well for me.

I have the jig and can't seem to get it working

maybe you can provide a guide for how you use it on the 1/4...i use it for my 1 and 1/2 in skews and on the 1/4, I can't seem to get it right...not sure if there is a difference in the bevel or on, but it don't seem to get sharp and the tip scrapes wood, not cuts it...thanks...Dennis

I seem to recall that before I started shaping the cutting edge on my 1/4" round skew, I marked lines on the handle that were 180 degrees apart to use as a reference for shaping the tool. First, I ground the skew angle by holding one of the marked lines straight up. Then using those marked lines as a reference on the skew jig flipping the tool 180 degrees, I was able to grind the bevels evenly. Not much more to it than that. It might help if you can locate Rosand's article on making this skew. It was in the Summer 2001 issue of the AAW Journal.

Dennis Taylor said:
maybe you can provide a guide for how you use it on the 1/4...i use it for my 1 and 1/2 in skews and on the 1/4, I can't seem to get it right...not sure if there is a difference in the bevel or on, but it don't seem to get sharp and the tip scrapes wood, not cuts it...thanks...Dennis

Back