• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

12" Disc / 12" Disc-Belt Combo Sander

Website
www.davidlauffenburger.com
I am looking at buying a 12" Disc Sander or Combo 12" Disc - 6" Belt sander to use in segmented work but, on most of the units i have looked at the disc does not spin true. Can anyone give me a recommendation for or experiences with specific machines.

Thanks,
Dave

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Jet JDS-12B

DavidL said:
I am looking at buying a 12" Disc Sander or Combo 12" Disc - 6" Belt sander to use in segmented work but, on most of the units i have looked at the disc does not spin true. Can anyone give me a recommendation for or experiences with specific machines.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave:

I have looked around at the available tools on the market - I already own a 6"x48" belt - 9" disk sander (Jet) which works OK for segments, but the disk size is a bit small - for other woodworking it performs very well. The belt will only be marginally useful for segmented work, at least in my experience.

When I can gather the needed cash from additional sales on turned items, my next equipment purchase will be the Jet JDS-12B 1 HP 12" disk sander with integral dust collection. It's nearly $ 315, (now on sale for about $ 311 at amazon.com - Acme Tools) but when compared to the current run of the Delta 12" benchtop sander and other similar units from Rigid, etc., in my opinion, and that of several others I've read, the Jet stands head and shoulders above all others in this price class, unless you want to graduate to the next level of sanders which start at around $600 and progress to over $ 1,000. The Jet will cost you a bit more $$ than for the other units but at 100 pounds, the cast iron is a big plus; I've heard that the disks run pretty true as well.

I'm looking forward to adding this machine to my shop, but an unexpected need of a chainsaw replacement (due to a dead McCulloch) pushed about $ 550 into the Stihl corporation and intermediaries about two weeks ago. The segments in need of sanding around here will need to wait a bit longer....

Good luck with your decision,

Rob Wallace

Specific meaning the particular machine? That's the level of inspection you'll need to make sure that yours is true. Makes mail-order a bit riskier than buying from the guy up the street, but it's probably still cheaper.

I've a JET myself. Disk is fine, but certainly less than perfect is not a hearbreak. You do plan on dimension/angle sanding with the miter gage groove as your primary reference, I hope? Negates any problems with warped disks if you push in to the side of the groove and slide off the open end. Not that I'd want to work with a warped one if there were another option.

I've seen some silly designs with the table mounted to a flexible rod and a stamped arc that might have benefited from a warped disk. Go for trunnions - two of 'em - and cast, not stamped. I think you'll feel better in the long run.

Anybody know if there is a variable speed or at least multiple speed (with stepped pulleys) disc sander out there? Probably can't afford it, but would still like to know.

I have had a case of the "wants" and have been thinking about a disc sander. Then the question comes up ...would I use it enough? I have not answered that one yet and therefore have not purchased a sander yet. But I have been thinking of making a MDF one attached to a faceplate for the lathe and making a platform to fit. It would be easy to make, easy to set up and I think it might work just about as well as a store bought one. Has anyone made one for the lathe and if so ...what do you think?
Hugh

Years ago I bought a 10" sanding disk from sears that had 60 grit on one side and 100 on the other that with a 5/8 in hole that could be used in place of a saw blade on table saw. You could be certain of it being square to the table, use the miter guage and even tilt it. I still have it but seldom use it any more, since I have a disk sander. Every once in a while though, I use it because the table of the saw provides great support for larger pieces.
I saw something similar recently in one of the catalogs but just cannot come up with the link. I'll keep checking.

Hugh said:
I have had a case of the "wants" and have been thinking about a disc sander. Then the question comes up ...would I use it enough? I have not answered that one yet and therefore have not purchased a sander yet. But I have been thinking of making a MDF one attached to a faceplate for the lathe and making a platform to fit. It would be easy to make, easy to set up and I think it might work just about as well as a store bought one. Has anyone made one for the lathe and if so ...what do you think?
Hugh

10" sanding Disc

I bought one of these from Woodcraft a few years ago and have used it several times. I like that it can be used in conjunction with the mitre gauge and tilted on the table. As for the downside, the speed of the table saw motor can make it very aggressive if you don't have a gentle touch. I used it mainly for mitered joints on shadowboxes till I invested in a really good blade for the chop saw.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=1809

Don't know if that helps.

Dave

Website
www.bobchapman.co.uk
disc/belt sander

Hugh said:
... I have been thinking of making a MDF one attached to a faceplate for the lathe and making a platform to fit. It would be easy to make, easy to set up and I think it might work just about as well as a store bought one. Has anyone made one for the lathe and if so ...what do you think?
Hugh

I've been using a setup like that for years and it does a good job. I recently bought a 6" disc/4" belt combo sander and, disappointingly, it is no better than my setup.

Unless you are quite sure you need one, I wouldn't bother.

Bob

Angelo

President Emeritus
Website
www.majicbrand.com
Disk sander for the lathe

Why not make a disk sander from a faceplate and a 1/4 piece of aluminum plate so that it fits your lathe? You can make it as big as the swing of your lathe.

You will need to build a small table to bolt to the ways but the task is easy enuf.

I can send pics of mine if you like.

A

Angelo - send a picture if you would please. Did you do anything to true up the face of the 1/4" plate after it was mounted on the faceplate? After thinking about that - I think I like that better than the MDF. I have never worked in metal much and never think of using it too much. But - a good idea.
Hugh

Back