• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

12" disc sander with 6 X 48 belt

12" disc sander with 6 X 48 belt What kind are you using? Which are Ok ? hear nice things about delta 31-300 - But at $900.+ It is a little high $- Anyone using Rikon 10 In disc? Thanks for your input

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Kefferpl......

I've had my Rockwell finishing machine for nearly 30yrs. It looks like it was probably produced on the same tooling as the Delta 31-300 is. I know for a fact that it cost over $1000 back then......and I can remember getting a bank loan to purchase it! :eek:

This machine is still going strong after all these years. I believe I replaced the drive belt once or twice.......and seems to me I needed to replace the drive pully once because the key slipped and caused some damage.

Overall, I'm very happy with this machine. I'm a believer in all the cast iron housings and tables.....they will last forever and maintain specs.

One thing about it, if you can push yourself to always buy as good equipment as you can......it will be a philosophy that will always make you happy later! :D

Confucius say: Buy quality, and only cry once! Ha!

ooc

Attachments

• Rockwell finishing machine (2).jpg
    Rockwell finishing machine (2).jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 49
Ten years. I can't break it.

Been using the Grizzly G1183 for ten years. They've been selling it for more than twenty.
I do a lot of really heavy log work in addition to everything else, so this unit has really taken a beating. Without skipping a beat. They have one now running at 1725 rpm too, which might be OK depending on what you're doing.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Combination-Sander-6-x-48-Belt-12-Disc-3450-RPM/G1183

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I just purchased the Rikon 12" disc sander. It has a wonderful table that's easy to adjust for angles. It has mild vibration but seems to cut just fine. A large disc belt sander just wasn't in my budget this year and my old homemade disc sander just wasn't accurate enough.

I also have the Grizzly but tyhe 1725 rpm less burning.Use it for everything from sharpening mower blades to truing pen blanks Great machine.Also great for sharpening turning tools.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Did you consider Jet sanders.....? ? ?

I have two Jet sanders and they both work quite well:

A Belt-Disc sander, and a benchtop disc sander.....

Stationary Belt-Disc sander:

For general shop work, I bought the JET 708597K JSG-96CS 9" disc/6" x 48" belt, 3/4 Horsepower Sander. VIEW HERE

I have never bogged-down this unit using both belt or disc. The belt tracking adjustments are quite good, and belt changes are easy too. The 9" disc is a bit small for working on segments, but fine for general shaping and sharpening. Dust collection works well; no problems encountered after 4+ years of use. I got the enclosed base unit (a bit more $$, but there was an excellent Jet discount several years ago at the Woodsmith Store in Des Moines - last day of a sluggish sale, deep discounts to move units; just too good to pass-up), but the legged-stand unit works just as well.

To work on segments, I then got the following:

Benchtop Disc Sander:

For sanding segmented pieces, I bought the JET 708433 JDS-12B 1-Horsepower 12-Inch Benchtop Disc Sander. VIEW HERE

This tool runs extremely smoothly, is very powerful for its size, and is quite heavy. The motor/disc will continue to spin for quite a while after the motor is turned off (it's very well-balanced). A "hand brake" is provided to stop the spinning in a reasonable time. The table is solid and easily adaptable for sanding jigs for segments (I made one or two fixed-angle sanding jigs, with more to come .....'when I have time'). The dust collection port (4") does an outstanding job of capturing dust generated by the 12" disc. The JDS-12B is a solid tool that will last a long time. This is a significantly higher quality tool (and more expensive) than the Delta 12" benchtop unit, which I considered, but quickly changed my mind - I'm very glad I did!! This unit is really worth the price.

I hope this information adds to the sanding units that you are considering.

Rob Wallace

Last edited:
I've had have a Delta Sanding Center machine for about 8 yrs. I believe it's the 31-300 model or equivalent. It's been a solid performer being very well built with good power. It's easily adjustable with accurate settings. It has the capacity for adding accessories like different size pneumatic drums with sanding sleeves. Which would be great for sanding curves and odd size material. I don't use the belt as much these days and could probably get by with a disk only sander, but that's just me.

Yes, it's high. You're paying for good iron, though. I have the (Blue) JET of the same specification, and it's a great machine with excellent repeatability from piece to piece and settings that hold under load. Had the Grizzly at the school purchased with grant money and broke things constantly. Looked pretty much the same design, but wasn't up to the challenges the careless or inept put to it. Vibrated a bit and loosened its settings in mid run and other weird things, including a couple casting breaks, all repaired or replaced by the Grizz folks.

Delta, JET, Woodfast and others look to be close, it's just the throw of the dice and the company behind them that counts. That, and maybe free shipping. Rikon can't be too horrible with the local Woodcraft backing it.

Don't just hook up the DC and start sanding if you haven't used it for a week. It has a nice place for a mouse nest in the dust collection chamber.

Back