• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

13" White Oak Plate

Well I had to try another one; This time I rotated the head on my HF CM Lathe to the front 90 degree position. There had been a few that said this lathe didn't work well like this in some of the reviews I read before buying this lathe; Well I had no problems what so ever other than the piece of wood trying to crack on me, there's a small black spot this kept me from adding a bead on the edge this time. I CA'd the spot and the heavy grain line to keep it from blowing up; as you can see I went very thin on this one and the grain is way better than the photos show.
Go ahead and let it rip guys. :1thumbup

Bruce

Attachments

• 100_7134.JPG
    100_7134.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 100_7130.JPG
    100_7130.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 100_7128.JPG
    100_7128.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 38

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
No ripping from me. That is beautiful work and the figure in the wood just enhances it even further. My guess is that this plate is for display and not for actual use just because it looks to nice to use it for serving food.

I know that HF is an abbreviation for Harbor Freight, but what is "CM"? I am guessing that your lathe is the one where the headstock can rotate. I think that it is one of their better lathes. They also have a decent mini lathe. They have made some others that are just plain horrible.

Thank you Bill I really like this one I think it's my best plate so far: the CM stands for Central Machinery they make Harbor Freight's products. Before buying this lathe I read quite a few reviews several said the Reves drive would eat belts and that there heads wobbled; I've had no such problems, in fact this has been a very good lathe for the money. I may have just got lucky or the guys w/ the bad reviews may have gotten a Lemon? For $300 and w/ a coupon even less you can't go wrong; the only thing I've had was bogging down when taking a big cut, so I cut slower w/ very sharp tools.

And Yes I don't see people putting more than cookies or bread etc... on these plates if they even do that most likely just for display.
This one will go on our website and to the Spring fair here in our small town if it doesn't sell before.

Bruce

Back