• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

15 walnut bowls to make.

As big as I can get with a 12" capacity Delta lathe. Any suggestions or tips to speed the process up. I'm not sure weather to order a Oneway core system for the small lathes or just make a template and carve like I have mad cow disease?

Too bad I cant throw them on my company's cnc and have them out in a jiffy. ;)

I've never done larger orders like this so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Well, I think I can help you speed up the process for nothing more than the postage for boxing up the overload pieces and sending them my way. :p
Seriously, the only method I'm familiar with for production turning in the manner you describe is to set up a process (e.g. roughing) and process each piece before setting up for the next process (e.g. establishing mortise/tenon for the chuck)

Production

I would not try a coring system. There is a learning curve to it. I looked at the Kelton and the Oneway. I tried both compliments of local club members and went with the Kelton. I have used it about 4 times in two years. I will use it more as I go.

To get done now, keep your gouges sharp and follow George's advice.

Mark 'em all out with a template. Rough turn them all. Then remount and finish turn them. Then finish them.

How much time do you have?

Let us know how it goes!

John:)

I am trying to get them out by Christmas, but being it's green wood, I will be pushing it as to how dry they will be. If they are after Christmas though, it's not the end of the world.

I guess I'll make a template for the inside and outside out of some 1/4" ply or some cardboard and try that.

Just my two cents - personally I found that there was really no learning curve with the Oneway coring system. Worked perfectly the first time i used it. If you have 15 green blanks that large I would go ahead and core them - with the one way you will have similar cored out openings and it will leave you some nice left overs for smaller bowls

Like I said - my two cents - YMMV

good luck and sounds like fun

Chris

If you want 15 the same size, say 11" finish diameter, coring does not really help you. You'll have 15 of the size you need plus 15 each of 2 smaller logs.

To get done by Christmas find a dry plank of the wood of your choice. A few years ago I bought (more like stole) two pick-up truck loads of dry walnut, cherry and maple, all 2 to 4" thick, 8" to 12" wide. I did a similar job last Christmas, took one of these planks of walnut, cut out blanks on the band saw, and went to work. To achieve matching size, shape and color in time for the holiday you may need to buy a board. Find an amatuer sawmill guy in your area and make him a deal. Maybe he would take a bowls in trade. I have a co-worker with a small mill and a couple years ago there was two planks in my truck when I went out to lunch. After lunch there was an email request three bowls, one for each of the 2 kids and one for his wife, and I could keep the 'change'. Tree came off a family farm.

Frank

As big as I can get with a 12" capacity Delta lathe. Any suggestions or tips to speed the process up. I'm not sure weather to order a Oneway core system for the small lathes or just make a template and carve like I have mad cow disease?

Too bad I cant throw them on my company's cnc and have them out in a jiffy. ;)

I've never done larger orders like this so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

The main reason to use the Oneway system is to avoid wasting valuable wood though as you are talking about coring a series of blocks that are the same size, some time will be saved as well. If you were doing one or two, the set up time would cancel out any time saving. I didn't find that there was much of a learning curve with the Oneway system. I would suggest having a collection of the cutters on hand so that when you have used them, you can sharpen all of them. This will save time.

Malcolm Smith.

The coring systems are for removing the center of bowl blanks to get more bowls out of one blank. Sounds like you want to use it to shape the outside. The McNaughton can do this to some extent, but with a 12 inch Delta lathe, it probably doesn't have the HP to do this, or only with a masters touch. Almost the same with the Oneway. I prefer the McNaughton, but it does have a learning curve, and you need some one to show you how, or there are 2 DVDs on using it.

So, 12 inch maximum. How deep are the bowls? You can thin turn (1/4 inch) the blanks, let them dry and warp, then sand and finish. Sanding warped bowls on your lathe, you need variable speed down to 10 rpm and a power sander, or you have to hand turn it while power sanding. Take about 10 days for bowls that thick to dry in my shop, 2 weeks max. If the blanks are only 2 inches deep, don't bother with coring. 3 inches deep, it may be worth it. 4 inches, I would core. If you thick turn, and then return later, you need a month at least. You could microwave them to speed up the process, but don't do this in the house microwave, or she will never let you into the kitchen again.

robo hippy

I should have specified, I'm looking at 5" to 6" deep hemispherical bowls hopefully. Something with this general shape if I can. I was not as worried about using the cores for other projects(but could be a plus down the road) as much as getting them turned down quickly I'd love something that can core the inside, and the outside(like the first bowls on multi-cored pieces). I would need something that would core to about 11.5 on the outside, and 9 or so on the inside.

The 12" coring system gives you a 9" cutout right?

Attachments

• 0008508186767_215X215.jpg
    0008508186767_215X215.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
First of all, a disclaimer, I am a production turner, and individual results will vary.

Medium curved blade of the standard McNaughton coring blades will do fine but your lathe may not have the torque/horse power to run it efficiently, same with the Oneway. The Mini McNaughton set would work better, and have smaller points so you don't need more horse power. However, I can shape the outside of a bowl much faster with a big heavy scraper than I can by using a coring blade, if for no other reason than it is one extra set up of a tool to do. Having a curved bowl tool rest will save you as much or more time. On bowls the size you are turning, by the time I core it, and then finish turn the inside of the bowl, there is little or no time saved. On blanks that size, I would expect to get 3 to 4 bowls total. Some times the last bowl is too small to be worth the effort. The major time saving is in turning the core. The outside is already shaped, you just have to clean it up, finish cut, turn your tenon or recess and reverse. I doubt that you will save much time with a coring system, at least until you learn to use it. The Woodcut system is great for bowls that size, and is priced right (cheaper than the Oneway, and a bit cheaper than one set of the McNaughton blades), but it isn't suited to coring the outside (neither is the Oneway). The big blade on it is a 5 inch radius, and I have found that it works better on the smaller lathes than the Oneway, but not better than the mini McNaughton. You will need higher speeds for it, or any coring system on your lathe, in the 600 to 800 rpm range. 500 rpm will work, but you will have to go slowly. I prefer the McNaughton because it is a lot more versatile, and after you learn how to use it (there is a learning curve with it), it is faster to set up and use.

robo hippy

Only places I've found for prices:
Oneway 12" $226
WoodCut $235
Mcnaughton mini - $310

I like the Mcnaughton, but dont know about the learning curve. Seems like the woodcut is a good choice, but also that I may want to expand past it by the time I finish these bowls.

Hmmm I'll just have to pick one and try it I guess. :cool:

Pyro
Careful because I think your $226 is just the frame of the Oneway Coring system - you have to buy the blades seperate. I have the Woodcut system it worked OK on my Jet 1642 but it works great on the new PM 3520
Frank

The 12 inch Oneway does have only one blade, and it sits on top of the tool rest, not down inside it. The major down side to the Oneway is the tips are a pain to sharpen. You have to take them off the blade, and hold them up to the grinder wheel. There is a jig to do this with. This cutter is sharpened by grinding the top of the blade, not the face of it.
robo hippy

Back