• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

16" Jet lathe Assembly

My lathe will be here on Friday. I printed out the manual but it doesn't give any tips for the best way to assembly the legs to the bed. I figure I'll have me and one other person to help. Seems like it could be dangerous to stand a leg up and try to attach the bed while someone holds it up and then slide another leg under.

Rich

If memory serves (7+ years later), I had the bed upside down on the floor, attached the legs, and flipped it upright. My brother helped. It was somewhat awkward but not terribly heavy, especially with two people. I needed my brother's help as much with getting the headstock on to the bed as for the leg assembly and getting it upright. We did roughly the same thing more recently in assembling a Powermatic -- that was more challenging.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
That's the way I did my powermatic. It's heavier but 2 of us managed it. Ditto on the headstock. It's not only heavy but awkward as well

Floor jack, concrete blocks, 2x4's and you and one other can do a powermatic. I used the sliding head to move the weight away from the lift, only lifted a 2x4 height at a time, have herniated disc- can't heavy lift. Did not take the ways and headstock off the pallet, turned it for access, immediate 3" off floor to start. Lifted at the very ends, which is where I'd have to put the legs anyway. Each lift wasn't very high, but, I didn't have to stress over it, just took time. Moving the thing to another state was a nightmare, but I had hired brawny help for the lifts.:)

the faceplate will be on the spindle

there are 2 set screws holding the faceplate to the spindle

You may also need to spend some time cleaning the packing grease off of the parts before assembly.
Some ( lots of ) paper towels and wd40 or mineral spirits, or some folks like kerosene.

While it is possible to do it all yourself, find some helpers.
The last thing you want is an assembled lathe and various pulls and strains that keep you from enjoying your new toy.:p

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
A hydraulic table makes the job really easy.

If you have access to a motorcycle jack or engine hoist that will make it almost as easy

A hand truck and dolly can come in handy.

This might be useful knowledge
We used to move our club lathe around using 2x4 slid under the ways.
Two 2x4s and four guys can move the lathe easily
If you need handles....

Have fun

I first removed the headstock, tailstock and banjo. With a little help from my wife I was able to set the bed on a table, shimming it so it was barely higher than the legs. I could then place a leg under the end of the bed, insert the screws and tighten them. When both legs were attached, I lifted one end at a time and slipped scrap boards under the feet. This raised the bed high enough to remove the table. Removed the boards and reassembled the lathe.

The worst part of the exercise was lifting the headstock into position.

The legs on this lathe free stand pretty well. With another person, this should be cake.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend flipping it over. It will be extremely awkward to flipping it back once you put the legs on. Just take the motor/headstock off the bed, stand the legs up and put the bed on top.

The manual recommends the lengths of 2x4's you can use as shelf for the legs. You can put them on in the beginning as a guide for how far apart to space the legs.

I put my 1642-2 together by myself and I am not a big guy. I used saw horses to hold the bed. Make it real easy to attach the legs. Get help if you can but it can be done solo. Have fun with your new lathe!

egsiegel ,

do not feel that you are the only one................

The legs on this lathe free stand pretty well. With another person, this should be cake.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend flipping it over. It will be extremely awkward to flipping it back once you put the legs on. Just take the motor/headstock off the bed, stand the legs up and put the bed on top.

The manual recommends the lengths of 2x4's you can use as shelf for the legs. You can put them on in the beginning as a guide for how far apart to space the legs.

This is the way we did my 3520B. The ways were heavy, but 2 can handle. Measure the length of the ways to set the legs. You can use a mallet to adjust leg position. I just happened to have a cart the right height to act as a safety to prevent drops. As stated the hard part will be the headstock.

hydraulic table

A hydraulic table makes the job really easy.

If you have access to a motorcycle jack or engine hoist that will make it almost as easy

A hand truck and dolly can come in handy.

This might be useful knowledge
We used to move our club lathe around using 2x4 slid under the ways.
Two 2x4s and four guys can move the lathe easily
If you need handles....

Have fun

Have a hydraulic table that I picked up at either harbour freight or northen tool that makes jobs oike this easy. Can move headstock onto table when it is 4-6 inches off ground , then raise table to bed height
Have used table to unload heavy items from back of car and pickup

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Have a hydraulic table that I picked up at either harbour freight or northen tool that makes jobs oike this easy. Can move headstock onto table when it is 4-6 inches off ground , then raise table to bed height
Have used table to unload heavy items from back of car and pickup

Welcome to the forum, Tom. Seems like I recall meeting you somewhere before. :)

There seems to be no end to all the things that can be done with a hydraulic cart that saves my back from wear and tear. I am glad that a fellow club member turned me onto that idea.

I too have found the HF hydraulic cart most useful. Use it to bring and raise large/heavy blanks to the lathe. I also strap a pallet (free) to it, put a raw log on, raise to a comfortable height then chainsaw into manageable blanks.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Heavy half longs slide easily from the hand truck onto my hydraulic table.
The table raises to the height of the bandsaw table it becomes an auxiliary table for the bandsaw.
Blanks are sawn round and can be rolled to the lathe.
It can also move any lathe I have.

Back