• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

19th Century Elliptical Lathes

Greetings Woodturners,

We've got this little television show up here in Arlington, MA and we recently did a piece about The Old Schwamb Mill. The mill has been making oval picture frames since the Civil War and they're still using the original 19th Century lathes. They continue to make frames for many prestigious clients, and at the same time they are a living history museum giving tours with woodturning demonstrations.

I thought folks here might enjoy seeing it. You'll need Windows Media Player 8 or better and a high-speed connection. You can view the show from our website at www.menotomyjournal.com

NOTE: We don't make any money if you view our show. We're non-profit, non-commercial public television. I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression. We hate spam just as much as all of you, and spam this is not. I hope y'all enjoy the show.

Website
www.woodturner.org
Thank you for posting this article Jim. That is a fascinating video.

For those who don't get the AW Journal (or those who do get the Journal and have short memories), Alan Lacer wrote an article on the Old Schwamb Mill last year. It was published in the Summer 2004 edition on pages 24-27.

Oval turning

While the principle appears to be the same, I have seen a video on line of a more recent oval turning chuck. If I remember correctly, it uses timing belts (also known as cog belts) for a much smoother operation.

I cannot find the link, maybe somebody else has it.

I found this link to a CD on how to build one:

http://www.ovalturnlathe.com/orders.html

The oval chuck is not the only way to turn ovals. The Rose Engine can produce ovals, but it is more like milling than turning.

Back