• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

1st hf

This is my first attempt at doing a hf, it is 6"diax4 1/4" tall finished with 3 coats of wipe on poly. I just don't know what type of wood it is co worker cut a tree down and gave me some very large logs and this is the 6th piece I have made from what he gave me. If anyone knows what kind of wood this is it would be a great help.

Attachments

• catalog2 083.jpg
    catalog2 083.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 239
Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
I agree with maple; seems to have some mineral staining. Perhaps sycamore?

Rob Wallace.

Beautiful piece! Excellent for a 1st (hey, even for a tenth). Looks maybe like apple? I'm not sure though!

Website
www.abhats.com
Looks great

I think it's sycamore. Sycamore is the only one that gives that speckled or herring bone tweed look that your piece seems to have near the top. If there's more of it on the other side or on the bottom, it's sycamore.

Sky

I agree with Sycamore. What part of the country did it come from?? OH Yea, very nice turning. :cool2:

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
color it beautiful, whatever the wood is. Nice job on it. finish looks good also.
could I have my change from my .02 cents worth? Max

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
Very nice form, and a great turning. Have you opened an album in the Gallery section yet? If not, I recommend it. Posting your work in this forum works fine, but then it disappears into the archives soon after. Your Gallery album is always easily accessable, with a nice layout of thumbnail images to lead the visitor to the full-size images.
--
Ken Grunke,
AAW Forums Co-Moderator
member & webmaster, Coulee Region Woodturners
My Home Page

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I've never been very interested in making a HF, but I am an admirer of well made ones......like yours!....I especially like that unique neck shape.

Making a hollow form seems to be a "rite of passage" in the turning world. Maybe, someday, I'll have to de-virginize myself! Heh,heh,heh!

....odie

odie said:
I've never been very interested in making a HF, but I am an admirer of well made ones......like yours!....I especially like that unique neck shape.

Making a hollow form seems to be a "rite of passage" in the turning world. Maybe, someday, I'll have to de-virginize myself! Heh,heh,heh!

....odie

thanks for the compliments.

Back