• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2 small problems, experience needed

I am turning a large "goblet", and I have run into 2 problems.

1. There is a bark inclusion that runs down the center of the tree. I am afraid of the whole thing exploding as I continue to turn it. The outside shows solid wood for 1/2 of an inch then you can start to see the inclusion. Is this safe to continue to turn. (I waive all legal ramifications to any who answer. It is my own choice to follow their advise.)

2. I do not have a bowl rest, and reaching the end of my reach. I was wondering if using some sort of a hollowing tool would help. The inclusion keeps causing my gouge to skip, I have changed over to the scraper, but I am now 1" from the base and still need to go 4" into the "goblet"

Be advised this is 14" X 22" dogwood. I have been turning it @ 350 rpm so it does not shake. It is out of balance due to a natural edge that has been U cut out of the side, part of the original bark inclusion.

Please post any guidance and wisdom.
Thank you

Bark

Perhaps you could see what is going on inside the bark inclusion by drilling a hole with a large dia. forstner bit You would (perhaps) then be able to see how thick the inclusion is and whether it has any supportive characteristics. At that point and place inside a bowl it is hard to beat a well sharpened scraper. Goood Luuuck. Phil

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
hollow the cup first

If you are hollowing the cup first and then turning the outside to a thin wall you can probably turn the cup by holding it together with tape. Finish the turning about 1 or 2 inches at a time from the rim toward the base and tape it as you go. You could also tape the uncut part too.

The real problem is cutting around the bottom of the cup and finding a void in the stem as it will likely break. And of course this is after you’ve done all the hard work. If the bottom of hollowed cup is solid wood then you will most likely have solid wood for the stem.

A lot of folks use some type of end grain tool for hollowing the cups such as the Termite, Soren Berger tool, or one of the covered ring tools like the hamlet hollower.

Check out the Jimmy Clewes CD/video he does some open vase shape using the covered ring tools. These are just wide mouthed goblets.

Safe? If your asking the question then your instinct tells you it may not be.
you need solid wood to hold the nturning to the headstock or the turning will break. voids and open spaces from the bark inclusion on the rim side are not structual issues and will usually hold together if taped.
Wearing a face sheild, standing out of the line of fire and using tape reduce the risk of injury should the wood fail.

happy turning,
Al

Last edited:
well it is elementary now... I purchased a hollowing tool. ( sorby) I was 2 inches from finishing the inside when I found myself on the floor.

The bowl exploded, I found 2 of the pieces of it, there are more somewhere isn the shop. I guess I will have to get another log and try again...

exploding goblett

I hope you were not hurt. Dogwood usually is tough to beat. I would have tried the same thing and probably got the same result. One just has to try. Pw.

I'll guarentee your not the only one to get whacked buy a flying piece of wood :rolleyes: Probably has happened more than some would acre to admit :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Just ask my wife

Don't worry, I won't ask your wife. I am just glad it was not my wife. She also turns, I force here to wear a face mask. Now it takes a little less encouragement. I just point to the broken bowl.

Back