• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2004 AAW Symposium Thoughts

Just returned home from my first AAW Symposium. We had some other commitments this weekend so I didn't think I would get a chance to go. Turns out my wife suggested that we just drive down for the day, about a 6 hour trip each way, so we drove down last night. Just spent the day walking around the vendors and instant gallery. Since I have only been a turner for about a year I had no idea what to expect.

Just walking around was a great educational experience, talking with vendors and other turners. It is hard to explain the excitment unless you have been to one of these before. Bought some wood, made lots of contacts for future purchases, compared some notes for a new lathe to purchase this winter, handled lots of tools and other hardware, and got plenty of ideas.

The instant gallery was the most inspiring part. Hundreds of pieces to look at (and photograph), admire, wonder about technique, talk with other turners, and inspire me to push a little harder on future pieces. We were very impressed to say the least, and talked all the way home about the work we saw.

We will definitely make room in my calendar to attend the WHOLE symposium next year! To those of you still their tonight, I am jealous!

Ray

Website
sawsndust.com
Ray, the training rotations and fellowship are the real meat symposium and you definitely want to attend the whole schmeggegie next year in KC. The trade show is impressive and the Instant Gallery very inspiring, however, especially when you consider that the majority of folks exhibiting their work are not well-known pros.

Website
www.slightlyaskewstudio.net
2004 AAW Symposium

My wife and I have been to several AAW Symposiums in the past ten years, and elected this year to spend all 3 days just browsing the trade show and viewing all the incredible work in the Instant Gallery & "Sea to Odyssey" Exhibit. This was well worth it, as these are all open to the public. There was no cost involved, except for everything we bought!;)

There were many well-known turners doing demonstrations "on the floor" for various vendors at the trade show, and we gained a lot of tips and in-depth info up close & personal, in small groups gathered around the free demonstrations. This was a real treat!

We were able to explore the Instant Gallery & Exhibit hall at our leisure, and took lots of pictures to share with the other WSWF club members who were unable to attend. The pictures have been downloaded to the WSWF Club website at http://www.swflwoodturners.org . Hopefully, we will soon transcribe some of our notes & be able to list the names of the fabulous turners with the pictures of their work.

I'm sure we could have learned much more by attending the rotation sessions, but this worked very nicely on our limited budget.

IMHO, if you're within driving distance next year, go for at least a day. Maybe even check out the deals available on time share condos near the Symposium site, fly in, and do all 3 days. We're definitely making plans!

Back