• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2004 symposium in Orlando

In the past several years it has been my privilege to attend several woodturning symposiums where I have learned a lot about our art and also meet a lot of new friends. The only fault I find in these symposiums other than their not held in my hometown every year is the auction that's held right after the banquet. The auction is far to long. Too many people loose interest before it's over and leave. Trying to sell to many pieces of donated art at to little price. Maybe if the number of donated pieces of art was limited then those buying would pay more for each piece, take less time for the whole auction and keep those possible buyers in their seats until the end. I know a lot of us turners like to donate our pieces of work to help a worthy cause. But I think we like more to brag about our piece being in the auction or bringing more than someone else’s. Maybe the great minds on this forum can think about this recommend some changes for further symposiums.

Duane,

I don't know if you have registered yet, but in my registration confirmation, I found the following info:

A long standing tradition for AAW is the auction held @ the symposium banquet. Again this year we are going to have two auctions. Due to the length of the banquet/auction in past years, only woodturnings will be in the live auction @ the banquet. All other donations of tools, special pieces of wood, supplies, services you could offer - such as lessons, time share @ a condo, or something of special value to turners will be put in a continuous silent auction on Saturday from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm. We hope both will greatly benefit our education funds. Your donation will be very much appreciated. Special recognition will be given to the suppliers making donations to the silent auction @ the banquet/auction on Saturday evening. Specific details on handling your donation will be provided @ the conference.

This one I very strongly favor:

Donate a Small Bowl for Charity: Donations of small bowls for a charity auction will be accepted @ the instant gallery registration desk. Please consider donating one or more bowls.

There are no details on this charity auction (because it won't be held @ the Symposium), but I can tell you that it will benefit children in the Orlando area.
This will be an auction that few of us will attend. Those who donate will probably never know how much their piece brought at this particular auction. There will be NO bragging rights! Just the satisfaction that your turned bowl(s) helped someone other than the AAW education fund!

Last edited:

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
As far as I know, there has always been some sort of request for turnings that will be given or sold to benefit the local charities in the hosting city. I have seen in the past, Tops, Ornaments, etc.

Problem is that it was never really promoted or well understood. I would love to see more promotion of this portion of the event so that it really takes off.

In fact, I see no mention of it on the web page for the symposium at all.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I Missed it, donate a bowl!

Of course I missed it! I was looking on the symposium page and did miss it.

Do you have any more info on it? Maybe we can hype it and get a wave of donations going from those who frequent this board.

And I am sorry it beat you.

boydoglg.jpg

Your donated bowls will benefit The Edgewood Children's Ranch
1451 Edgewood Ranch Rd, Orlando, FL 32835-5104.

Edgewood Children's Ranch

Last edited:
The Edgewood Children's Ranch

Gene Gross, president of the Central Florida Woodturners, is a board member of The Edgewood Children's Ranch. He was instrumental in coordinating the arrangement between the AAW and The Edgewood Children's Ranch.
Every year, The Edgewood Children's Ranch has their charity auction. Our donated items will be a part of that auction.

Back