• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2009 winter issue

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I thought there were a lot of good articles. The article on William Moore was great. I've enjoyed his work but did really know who he was.
From Garage to Gallery by terry Martin was excellent. I guess deep down inside I know you have to find your niche and stick with it but I like to experiment too much so I may never make that level of collectable work.
I thought it had a good selection of projects. I'll admit that projects don't excite me that much anymore but I read them anyway. You never know when you'll learn something.
All in all I thought it was a well rounded publication with good information on what other clubs are doing, what's happening in the AAW, and some insights into design as well as some high end turnings to look at. Good Job Betty and the rest of the crew.

finally it came

1st observations a lot of very nice turnings Brenda Stein magnolia piece

a lot of wood sculpture

appreciation for the work and coodination when a tree falls in the city

santa baby.....dream machines...amen

William Moore while i still do not feel like i know him, i like his work...while wood and metal are the themes, his forms are different from one work to another, his signature is very subtle that way...a see a branch in the learning curve, it may be a steep and uneven climb

the spiral...it really is wonderful

I'm glad to hear the enthusiastic responses to this latest issue of the journal. There are many new authors writing interesting articles, which makes my job easier and more rewarding. Toby Fulwiler said that he's had eight people email him directly in response to his "Turning Wood and the Common Good" article.

I've had several personal emails with positive comments about Terry Martin's article, "Garage to Gallery."

I had an opportunity to see some of Bill Moore's sculptures in person last month. I was even more impressed than I'd been with the photos. I can only imagine how he must mount something like Twist in order to turn the spindle and the vessel from one piece of wood! Initially I thought that maybe he connected everything after it was turned, but not so. Sure, some of it is assembled, but if you check the image closely, he's turned the cross sections from one piece of wood and also turned one of the cylinders from the same piece of wood as the vessel is turned. Definitely beyond my abilities. (I'd have to resort to carving it! :eek: )

Other favorites?

I'm closing in on having the February issue almost finished. It will be mailed in mid-January. There'll be something new.

--Betty

I really enjoyed the article Ted Gaty wrote on Bill Moore. I love Bill's work. It's also nice to see a profile article in the Journal! Terry Martin's article, From Garage to Gallery, was a good read also.
I've read most of the articles. It's nice to see so much variety.
Great job on the Journal, Betty!

Aaw

It's Dec 8th and I still don't have mine. Woodcraft had them in their book rack Nov 24. I can't tell how POED I get to find them in the stores before we members get our copies.

winter issue

i agree was in woodcraft before thanksgiving and they had it on shelf i just got mine yesterday.

Back