• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2010 symposium location?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/08/21/carroll.hartford.curfew.cnn

The above video on CNN gives you an inside view to what Hartford, CT is like.

After the inner city experience of Richmond and having my purse stolen I warned people at the registration counters about Hartford not being a pleasant city and to reconsider the location.

Hartford's murder rate is 4 times the national average. Considering that it is a small city makes it all the more unsettling that AAW is going to put us right in the middle of another unsafe location.

According to this site: http://www.morganquitno.com/cit05pop.htm Richmond is ranked as the 9th most dangerous city in the entire country. Hartford is the SEVENTH MOST DANGEROUS CITIES!!!

When comparing crime stats by population, Hartford ranks #4 most dangerous city of those whose population is between 100,000 - 500,000.

Here are some more stats: http://www.idcide.com/citydata/ct/hartford.htm

With all the gorgeous communities available in Connecticut why must you pick the worst? Stamford and Danbury are listed among the country's safest cities. Heck, even Bridgeport is a better choice.

Give us a true New England experience and pick a city that better represents Connecticut, New England and the Northeast.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/08/21/carroll.hartford.curfew.cnn

The above video on CNN gives you an inside view to what Hartford, CT is like.

After the inner city experience of Richmond and having my purse stolen I warned people at the registration counters about Hartford not being a pleasant city and to reconsider the location.

Hartford's murder rate is 4 times the national average. Considering that it is a small city makes it all the more unsettling that AAW is going to put us right in the middle of another unsafe location.

According to this site: http://www.morganquitno.com/cit05pop.htm Richmond is ranked as the 9th most dangerous city in the entire country. Hartford is the SEVENTH MOST DANGEROUS CITIES!!!

When comparing crime stats by population, Hartford ranks #4 most dangerous city of those whose population is between 100,000 - 500,000.

Here are some more stats: http://www.idcide.com/citydata/ct/hartford.htm

With all the gorgeous communities available in Connecticut why must you pick the worst? Stamford and Danbury are listed among the country's safest cities. Heck, even Bridgeport is a better choice.

Give us a true New England experience and pick a city that better represents Connecticut, New England and the Northeast.

I think you are tilting at windmills. The city was chosen at least a year ago and I'm sure contractual arrangements have already been signed.

If you are that uncomfortable with the choice, attend one of the regional symposiums and skip the national. Many of the regionals are excellent and far less crowded. I really think you purse incident was an anomaly and should be a red flag to the board on how the Instant Gallery may need some more security consideration.

I think you are tilting at windmills.

I'm not fighting "imaginary enemies". There is nothing "imaginary" about the CNN video or the host of crime stats about Hartford or about how Hartford is not the best representative of Connecticut or New England.

As far as Richmond goes, mine was not the only theft or unpleasant interaction with the down side of an inner city.

Considering there are 2 years to go, alternative locations could be found that would not dump us in the middle of such an unsafe area and would better portray New England.

I love going to the region events. Any time I hear of one within driving distance I do go, however, I should not have to worry about my safety in order to attend a convention for members. And, if the regional groups can put on fabulous events in nice areas, why can't AAW?

I'm sorry for your loss, Truffels, but you are the only person responsible for your purse. While, no doubt, it was a frightening and harrowing experience, you are saying that you are a statistic. It is a fact that statistics are manipulated every minute of every day so that someone can prove a point. As you can gather, I support the AAW's choices. I may never be able to attend a national Symposium but I agree with their moving them around the country. Everyone has favorite places and they are not always large or well known. We as members should take the good with the not-so-good and move on, as the Board does the best job they can. When you run for the Board, let me know and I will consider voting for you. In the meantime, I hope you have no more experiences that darken your day. And also, have a GREAT DAY!!:cool2:

I'm sorry for your loss, Truffels, but you are the only person responsible for your purse.

It is "Truffuls", thank you. No, I was NOT responsible as I was not allowed to carry my purse. The theft never would have happened had I been allowed to carry my purse with me.

I have no objections to AAW moving the event around the country, in fact, I applaud them for it. I ran an international organization for over 13 years and did the same thing. Every year we picked a different city but always picked a venue that best represented the area, and, above all, was SAFE.

AAW should most certainly hold the event in Connecticut, just pick a better location. There are so many wonderful venues in Connecticut, even though it is small. Why pick the worst city?

I think if think if they are going to make you check your bags(purses) they should have lockers or some secure way of guarding your belongings. myfriends friend and my wife had to leave theirs at that table up front and all we did instead of enjoying the IG was worry about our belongings.The way it was any one could have walk out with some elses bag either by mistake or just wanting it. Truffuls sorry for your loss.

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
My opinion? I could legally carry my sidearm in Richmond, and I did. I cannot carry in Connecticut, so more than likely, I won't be there. Paint me pink and call me a sissy, but I refuse to be disarmed by a bunch of statists who think they know better about my life and well being. I am a free man from the Commonwealth of PA, clinging proudly to my guns and my religion, and no pantywaist liberal is going to disarm me if I have any say about it.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
veering way off topic here

Might I suggest that this forum be kept to talking about wood-turning, not crime rates and prevention there of.

I have seen this time and again, it's not a good pattern.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
and no pantywaist liberal is going to disarm me if I have any say about it.

Might I suggest that this forum be kept to talking about wood-turning, not crime rates and prevention there of.

Not thuggishly bringing in politics and/or name calling might be nice too:cool2:

My opinion? I could legally carry my sidearm in Richmond, and I did. I cannot carry in Connecticut, so more than likely, I won't be there. Paint me pink and call me a sissy, but I refuse to be disarmed by a bunch of statists who think they know better about my life and well being. I am a free man from the Commonwealth of PA, clinging proudly to my guns and my religion, and no pantywaist liberal is going to disarm me if I have any say about it.

I'm with you Bill.

I'm with you Bill.

I'm with you Bill.

When there are a rash of thefts, injuries do to muggings, and even deaths among AAW members, i don't want to hear any of you say you weren't warned. There are better and safer locations for the symposium.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!

Exactly right, Bill.......

Taking personal responsibility for your own safety isn't "sissy" at all.....it's smart, right, and what our founding fathers wanted you to do......as well as did it for themselves. No apology necessary......and you don't need anyone else's approval to do what you know is the right thing to do.

Discussing the location of a national symposium, disagreeing with it, and the reasons why, isn't off-topic at all. Ignoring the risks, because it's politically incorrect, is a problem we all should pay attention to. We are all woodturners here.....that is what binds us......but, we all have responsibilities to ourselves, our families, our communities, and our nation.

otis of cologne

Last edited:
R

Ron Sardo

You gotta love this guy

I carry a concealed weapon! I do not carry an assault weapon! So you can call me a "pantywaist liberal".

I have lost respect for many by comments made like this. Live you life as you see fit and mans laws allow. No need to insult me and many others with name calling.

Shamed
Rev. Paul Gallian

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
I carry a concealed weapon! I do not carry an assault weapon! So you can call me a "pantywaist liberal".

I have lost respect for many by comments made like this. Live you life as you see fit and mans laws allow. No need to insult me and many others with name calling.

Shamed
Rev. Paul Gallian

I have absolutely no idea what this post is supposed to convey. No one ever said anything about "assault weapons" anywhere in this thread, and I am not sure why you think I would call you a pantywaist liberal, especially since you seem to be sympathetic to RKBA issues. So please, enlighten me with a little clarification.

I'll even go first. I think it is foolish to schedule events in large cities with high crime rates, especially in states which insist on disarming the population while allowing criminals free reign. But I already know what kind of reception my comments will get from the board. :rolleyes: I've written or spoken to various board members on several occasions. I'm persona non grata with them, mainly because I don't think the way most of them seem to think. ;)

Why should my thread be closed?

I didn't make an off color or rude post, I posted this thread because I am concerned about AAW's poor choices for symposium venues.

I would like AAW's response as to why they feel it is OK to put the members into a dangerous area, again. And, if they refuse to change the venue, how they plan on protecting us and our belongings.

Connecticut may be small, but there are a helluva lot of nice places that far better represent New England and my neighboring state of Connecticut.

For AAW to ignore the facts is inexcusable and shows no concern for its members.

I am requesting that this thread, at least my first post with all the facts REMAIN so that the membership has all the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back