• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2010 Symposium Question

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum. I have been active in two other turning-related forums, so some may recognize me. I have been turning for over two years and have already purchased a second lathe (Jet mini to the biggest Jet this side of the pond) and more turning tools and equipment than I can count! I have even been making some of my own tools. I'm sure many can relate to this. I started big into pen making and after only three months of turning pens I was asked to give a demo for my local turning group (AWA). I have since branched out into larger more traditional turnings and have been roughing out lots of green wood lately. Turing time has slowed a bit the last several months due to the birth of our first child - yes, I made several 'Its a girl' pens out of pink corian, and a couple of rattles since...

Anyway, about the symposium:
Being roughly two hours from Hartford I am going to take full advantage of going to the symposium. I attended (volunteered for) the AWA's "Totally Turning" symposium last year and was amazed at how much I learned in only two days. I have hotel reservations and am looking forward to the experience of the national symposium.

My question is: What exactly is the Banquet/Auction?

I see that we can purchase a ticket for it, and there it is obviously some sort of auction, but I can't find much else about it. I picture a banquet as a rather formal event with people dressed up, but I'm not seeing that from the group of typical woodturners I know (I know, a bit of a stereotype). A search reveals some people questioning ahead of previous symposia, and there were a broad range of responses about attire, but not much regarding purpose.

So, could someone please share what this event is about and why one would want to attend? There may have been some discussion about the banquets in previous issues of American Woodturner magazine that I missed as I have only read the last few issues.

Thank you,
Chris

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Well, an hour before the banquet, everyone shows up dressed up (which means their best shorts or jeans) for the no host bar and sips some beverages and talks about the day. Then the banquet doors open, tickets are taken on entrance, and everyone vies for seating, usually (I think) 10 or so at a round table.
After dinner, there are awards for chapter newsletter and website recognitions, the honoree of the year and more accolades to the woodturning community.

After all of that, there is a live auction of the donated woodturning pieces whose bidding has gone high enough to transition from the silent auction that takes place on the previous days, on the gallery floor .

There is usually a lot of pieces and auctioning goes on for quite awhile, and all the proceeds (tax deductible) go to the AAWs education and grant funds.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
what Steve said.

Many of the clubs try to get tables so they can all sit together.
The auction is a great place to give something back to woodturning either by donating a piece or buying one.

Totally Turning is a first class regional symposium.
The AAW is just a different beast. Many more options,

Have fun,
Al

Thanks guys. This does help.

Ed - I did come across a couple of the older photo albums of banquets. I guess a closer look would have answered some of my attire question, huh? :rolleyes:

As far as the awards, I guess learning more about AAW as a whole, and how the organization operates, would give me a better understanding.

I do plan on attending in June.

Maybe a little discussion (marketing) in an upcoming American Woodturner issue might gain some more interest and attendees at the banquet? (me thinking out loud)

Thanks again.

Geez Chris,

You're not going to wear your Tux ? I already got mine rented for the weekend.:D Sounds like you got most of your answers. This will be my first full symposium too. I went for a day when it was in Providence, RI several years ago. Just went to see the Gallery and vendors. Very impressive.

Too much to see and do, too little time.

Looking forward to it!

Back