• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2011 Symposium Stats?

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Bob:

On Sunday morning, I asked some AAW Staff for the estimated registration numbers, and my understanding is that it was over 1,600, but I don't have an exact number (or an even closer approximation) of the actual registration - they are supposed to determine that figure this week. In addition to quite a few one-day registrants, I know that there were many people attending the Instant Gallery and the Trade Show (free to the public and no registration required) that will never be recorded in the 'official' number. I can tell you it was a very well-attended symposium and I managed to see lots of old friends and make new ones! My guesstimate is that there were at least 2,000 participating in some aspect of the symposium this year.

At the banquet, the view from the podium seemed to have tables going-on 'forever'....... .....although the live auction only produced a bit above $ 69,000 at first calculation, the proceeds of which are earmarked for the Educational Opportunity Grants program.. (Additional funds from the sales of the remaining pieces in the silent auction are not included in this figure.) Even though there were lots of people attending the auction, relatively few were bidding that night.

I'm sure once the staff gets settled back into the normal swing of things, much of this information will be forthcoming on the AAW homepage.

Rob

Stats

At last estimate we think about $30,000 sold in raffle tickets for the painted Powermatic. Congrats to Scott K. who won it, and a big thanks to Binh Pho who volunteered about 50 hours painting it to raise money for our AAW.

Back