• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

3520 (or whatever other lathe) Dust Collection

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
There has been a thread on another forum on Dust Collection Fixtures. Thought I would post my solution here for the good of the order:

OK, attached is the picture of my dust collection. Features:
- Aluminum shop light shade commonly available at HW stores
- Dryer vent hose to give a bit of rigidity for placement. May change over to regular ribbed hose it it doesn't hold up
- Cut open the shade with snips to make tabs and an opening to fit hose and taped on. Used Aluminum duct tape (not the cheap stuff) inside and out.
- Made "Banjo" with long slot for positioning and adjustable clamping to ways.
- "Shade" fixed by plastic plumbers tape to height adjustable 1-1/4 dowel. Friction fit to hole in Banjo to move up and down. Top 2/3 of the hole is oversize, only bottom part is friction fit to ease adjustment. Sanded to fine tune. Could make a "Squeeze" collar with a band saw slot and tightening knob. But friction fit works fine.
- Removes easily, but mostly is tucked out of the way well back, or against headstock.
- The hose goes overhead to a gated dust collection port to my central Oneida system. Stand alone system would work too. Need high volume, low vacuum, dust collection to be effective.

I guess that's it. Works great. Not too pretty. Can't have everything. You might want to make the banjo a bit longer than I did, but it is a tradeoff between clearance from your work and your belly button.

Alternative that should work well would be to put a horizontal pipe or bar off of that headstock bracket and fix the same set up to it, providing for adjustment up and down. This wouldn't clutter up the ways. The pipe could also hold flexible arm lighting. But I believe the banjo solution provides a wider range of adjustment and location.

Attachments

• DSC03687 (Small).JPG
    DSC03687 (Small).JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 651
Last edited:
Thanks. I appreciate the posting since I'm considering dc options for my new PM lathe right now.

very clever.

I do have one question though.

Does it ever get in the way of the banjo?

I use on of the commercial kinda rectangular plastic ones. It is on a wood stand that clamps to a rolling table holding my equipment.

Thanks!

Gerry

PM 3520 Dust Collector

Thanks. I appreciate the posting since I'm considering dc options for my new PM lathe right now.

Check out other options our members came up with, as well as other forums like the Mustard Monster at http://mustardmonster.googlepages.com/ and the PM Lathe Owners Forum at http://groups.msn.com/PowermaticLatheOwners/_whatsnew.msnw

I purchased the PM factory DC attachment and can not recommend it - it gets in the way. I think they need to rethink the design and add an articulated arm between the banjo mounting and the DC intake to provide additional movement to get around large turnings. But what do I know?

If you like, shoot me a PM and I'll provide details on something one of our club members came up with - and - it's available at Home Depot.

Cheers, and Happy Holiday

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
The dust collection "Banjo" does not interfer

with the tool rest banjo. It tucks neatly to the left and hasn't been a problem at all. I leave it a little loose so it can bump away if needed as I move the PM banjo.

Back