• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

a quiet mind

I am in that frustrating phase of two steps forward and one back! My tool technique is much improved largely due to Lyle Jamieson's very clear youtube video's and of course information gained from this and other excellent forums.

I am having issues with flow and form that I didn't struggle with earlier in my turning. I have been stubbornly trying to salvage blanks that are ready for the burn pile, I'll be out of wood when I burn it. No question that is part of my struggle but I realized last night I had another basic issue. I cut eight acres or so with a small mower, a two day job. While mowing my thoughts are deliberately allowed to travel far and wide. Cutting laps on a lawn tractor isn't the most thrilling way to spend a couple days. However, last night as I quietened my thoughts seeking sleep I realized I had been guilty of "noisy thought" while turning wood lately, even upsetting thoughts. I hadn't been at peace while turning.

I, and I assume most people, think on three levels that I know of. There is the loud verbal level, I am mentally dictating every word I type here. Then there are the quiet wisps of thought, little quiet reminders as I am doing a task and need a minor correction, these may or may not be in words, usually are. Finally there is the level where my unconscious and my body are working together without conscious interference. Remember how hard it was when you first started to drive a car? After awhile we are making corrections and dodging small obstacles in our path without a conscious thought.

At the very beginning of learning a new task, that loud verbal thought, I'll call level one, is very much to the forefront. It is giving constant instruction and is needed to perform the task. However this is much like someone else standing over you and telling you how to do every little thing, there is no flow to your efforts.

Level two, you are starting to do routine tasks without level one controlling every little action. That quiet voice is starting to be heard when you need to make changes or corrections but that interfering task master loud verbal voice is largely silent.

Level three, most of the task is accomplished without verbal thought with an occasional gentle comment from that quiet voice. You know what you want to achieve and you turn loose your unconscious and your body to make it happen, much like my earlier example of driving a car.

Lately I have been guilty of thinking about life's irritations while trying to turn. My verbal thoughts have been loud and in conflict with what I was trying to do. They not only were not at least of some value to the process, they were in total disharmony with what I was trying to do. The result is that I am struggling with flow and form. I should have recognized this immediately and shut it down, a bad habit in the making. I'll have to have a bit of my mind paying attention to flag that for awhile.

I, and again I will assume all of us, will have more success turning with a quiet mind. That loud voice of thought should be silent or at worst focused on the task at hand. Once we are beyond the very basics of learning tool handling it isn't needed. That quiet wisp of a correction here and there should be all that is needed and better if the correction is not even thought of in words.

When that loud most dominant voice is thinking of other things it interferes with the process at best. When it is focused on annoyances this is the most interference that it can create. Flow goes to hell and form isn't far behind!

These are the thoughts of a fellow beginning wood turner, judge accordingly. I have shaped other things to perfection and danced with the wind. I do know what I seek wood turning, haven't got there yet!

Hu

This is when you just turn the machine off and walk away until your mind flashes a light and you say ahh s..t that's what I ought to do.:cool2:

I seem to remember ( it's all kind of foggy now) things from the 60's about the "Zen" of conscience. Be patient grasshopper and you will become one with the wood.

I found out in 5th grade that I could do math very quickly with a quiet mind. By not concentrating on the individual numbers, but working on the whole list, I could work faster. Won the math competition that year. Now almost 50 years latter, I am studying how to quiet my mind. More rattling around in there I guess, but I need to quiet my mind to sleep. With guidance, I have found two methods that work for me. Guided imagery, and alpha/theta relaxation. Next week I get tested on clearing my mind without the guide on the cds. Both these methods are used in conjunction with controlled breathing. The doctor has been wiring me up, and watching body function while using the aids. Heart rate drops, breathing rate drops (both of those happen because the deep diaphragmatic breathing oxiginates the blood), and tension in my neck muscles relaxes. Do not use the alpha/theta while working, as I nearly fall asleep when I use that. But use them to calm the mind, then proceed with your work. Elsworth has taught stretching and preparation before turning, might be good to add some mind clearing as well! I have no trouble with a calm mind when I turn. I actually concentrate so much on the turning, I don't feel the usual muscle and joint pain I normally live with. The odd place that does rattle me is mowing the yard. I actually get angry while mowing as I drudge up all kinds of daily, and past issues. Funny thing, that creative mind!

trying to escape

I found out in 5th grade that I could do math very quickly with a quiet mind. By not concentrating on the individual numbers, but working on the whole list, I could work faster. Won the math competition that year. Now almost 50 years latter, I am studying how to quiet my mind. More rattling around in there I guess, but I need to quiet my mind to sleep. With guidance, I have found two methods that work for me. Guided imagery, and alpha/theta relaxation. Next week I get tested on clearing my mind without the guide on the cds. Both these methods are used in conjunction with controlled breathing. The doctor has been wiring me up, and watching body function while using the aids. Heart rate drops, breathing rate drops (both of those happen because the deep diaphragmatic breathing oxiginates the blood), and tension in my neck muscles relaxes. Do not use the alpha/theta while working, as I nearly fall asleep when I use that. But use them to calm the mind, then proceed with your work. Elsworth has taught stretching and preparation before turning, might be good to add some mind clearing as well! I have no trouble with a calm mind when I turn. I actually concentrate so much on the turning, I don't feel the usual muscle and joint pain I normally live with. The odd place that does rattle me is mowing the yard. I actually get angry while mowing as I drudge up all kinds of daily, and past issues. Funny thing, that creative mind!

Richard,

I think that we are trying to escape the tedium mowing grass and grasp at straws sometimes! My thoughts are far ranging, good or bad, while mowing.

Your calm mind while turning is what I am seeking. Not a mind that is inactive but one that is using the resources and information needed to best complete the task and temporarily sorting and stacking other things on the side. I don't want the noisiest level of my mind interfering with lower, deeper level processing.

Driving a circle track car, riding a good cow horse, even shooting a benchrest rifle watching wind flags I achieved a flow where my actions and reactions were without conscious thought of the in between steps, much like walking. Walking is a very tricky activity as anyone that has had to relearn how to walk as an adult has found. We don't struggle to walk and work out all the motions we need to do it, we simply decide to walk somewhere and let our unconscious and body take over.

In some respects I seem to be getting where I want to be with the lathe turning, at least on days things are going well! I need to turn loose of all of the life aggravations we all go through at times before starting to turn a piece. Deliberate effort and awareness of the need should help. A little paytense would no doubt help too but I can't even spell the word!

When competing I use the type and pattern of my breathing to slow down or speed up my actions but more importantly to regulate my emotions. I don't compete well dead calm or overly jacked full of emotion. Being able to finely control my emotions most of the time in a competitive setting has been very helpful. I don't think I need to be "up" at all to turn on a lathe, maybe I need to work on the deep slow breathing before turning and when stopping to sharpen or evaluate things more closely.

Thanks for an interesting post!

Hu

Hu,

When I'm having a bad day I don't even try to turn anything.:confused:

Sometimes I will take a week or even two before I get the inspiration to turn and then I'll go down to the shop and rough out a bowl in about two hours.
But the one thing I do is my mind is on the wood as it turns not knowing exactly what it'll turn out to until I see and hear the wood talking to me....not really but I'll see what I want and that's when I know it is talking to me. Now that is piece of mind.:)

I try to do the same

Hu,

When I'm having a bad day I don't even try to turn anything.:confused:

Sometimes I will take a week or even two before I get the inspiration to turn and then I'll go down to the shop and rough out a bowl in about two hours.
But the one thing I do is my mind is on the wood as it turns not knowing exactly what it'll turn out to until I see and hear the wood talking to me....not really but I'll see what I want and that's when I know it is talking to me. Now that is piece of mind.:)

Bill,

I am just beginning to develop my turning skills so I feel a little under the gun to turn if I go too long between days spent turning but I try to avoid turning when my head is really somewhere else. Health issues and high levels of medication force shutdowns too so between everything I sometimes go a few weeks without turning. For the first time since I started maybe six months ago I wasn't eager to turn the last couple of times I did after a week or two enforced time away from the lathe. I would prefer to wait until I am eager to turn but I'm concerned about losing skills spending too much time not turning. Typing this I think I'll spend more time just practicing cuts and making chips, maybe rough in some blanks rather than my usual green turn to finish. Anything I do I have an inclination to pursue very intensely. If I'm not careful I take the fun out of things I started doing for pleasure.

I have to go to town a few hours then I think I'll fire up the tractor and chainsaw to go whittle a few blanks out of a gum tree that is laid over but angled and clear of the ground. It was living six months or less ago so should be good wood. Nothing like firing up a chainsaw for awhile to clear my head. Don't know if it is the fumes of the feeling of accomplishing something in such a short time that a chainsaw gives but a few hours with a saw always lifts my spirits. I'll do the cutting and John D can do the heavy lifting. Thank goodness for front end loaders!

Hu

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Hu,

I Doodle with wood.

When I want to do something but nothing specific. I put small blocks on and just make shavings and shapes.
Sort of throw aways. I don't bother sanding. Might turn with a light to see how thin I can go.
Maybe try turning a near perfect ball between centers
Play with various rim shapes for hollow forms.

All of this leads to improved skills and new designs. I have no concern about saving the doodles so it is low stress lets see what this does of how this looks.

Sometime I just rough bowls which is sort of a mindless exercise that makes good use of time.

Al

What I had in mind

Hu,

I Doodle with wood.

When I want to do something but nothing specific. I put small blocks on and just make shavings and shapes.
Sort of throw aways. I don't bother sanding. Might turn with a light to see how thin I can go.
Maybe try turning a near perfect ball between centers
Play with various rim shapes for hollow forms.

All of this leads to improved skills and new designs. I have no concern about saving the doodles so it is low stress lets see what this does of how this looks.

Sometime I just rough bowls which is sort of a mindless exercise that makes good use of time.

Al

Thanks Al,

"Doodling" with the wood and low stress like roughing is exactly what I had in mind. Been playing with the how thin thing a bit lately myself. One blank cracked or tore for no particular reason, looked like end grain separation from slight flexing as I turned, and I just crumpled up the entire bowl except the tenon in my hands. That one was getting pretty thin.

Aside from other things it is pretty miserably hot turning outdoors under an open porch. The weather may be starting to be a little more cooperative if I get up and turn early, probably what I need to do. Knowing I will be standing in a puddle of sweat thirty minutes after I start turning reduces enthusiasm too. Much as I hate to, I think I will have to tear down and rebuild my little 12x20 shop building to move it. It is well insulated and air conditioned. Not too cold in winter with a small heater and not expensive to keep at 68-70 degrees working in the summer. A very solidly constructed and high roof/ceiling building, far harder to deal with than the Home Depot shed based shops but putting off moving it isn't making it any easier.

Thanks for your post. Your posts are always very helpful and much appreciated.

Hu

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Fortunately living in central Florida we don't get as hot as most of the country.
Pretty much any outdoor activity is pleasant before noon. Then Mr. Sun is Up and we get high 80s and by 2-4 we hit the high for the day which is usually 89-92.

Like today, the shop was comfortable with big fans until,around 1 pm.
Then we knock off for the day. Of course after the afternoon thunderstorm it can be 70
An another nice time to be outside or in the shop.

We have air conditions in the shop but rarely use it because the shop is not well insulated but it will keep,the building in the 80s I we decide to works through the afternoon.

I think the ideal temperature in 85.
In my limited research people that paled a lot of baseball and softball generally like the mid 80s.

Last edited:
I am my own furnace

Fortunately living in central Florida we don't get as hot as most of the country.
Pretty much any outdoor activity is pleasant before noon. Then Mr. Sun is Up and we get high 80s and by 2-4 we hit the high for the day which is usually 89-92.

Then we knock off for the day. Of course after the afternoon thunderstorm it can be 70

We have air conditions in the shop but rarely use it because the shop is not well insulated but it will keep,the building in the 80s I we decide to works through the afternoon.

In my limited research people that paled a lot of baseball and softball generally like the mid 80s.

Al,

With a little breeze low to mid eighties can be pretty pleasant. With the high humidity and no breeze even that can be pretty unpleasant. Fortunately I usually have shade and a little breeze. I burn a lot of energy anything physical I do. I cool the house when I'm at rest to 76-78 but if I am working I'll have it in the low seventies and sometimes upper sixties. Nice to be comfortable and with that small building with one insulated steel door and no windows the AC runs once or twice an hour in my shop with good insulation. I think I could hang meat in there if I really wanted to.

When I did strenuous activities outdoors I used to be pretty happy all the way down into the forties or below. Times have changed and so has my personal definition of "strenuous"! :D

Had to check a map for Lakeland. I was around Cedar Key and maybe Clear River or Clear Water many years ago. My brother was working an outage at a nuke not too far away. I remember it being a very nice area and very rural appearing once off the coast. Thought it would be a nice place to move to back then, no idea about today.

Hu

Al,
I lived in that area a number of years ago and the wife is from Naples still has people down there. I guess the secret is work like lawn care people do 5-6 am till 11 am and then rest in the air conditioning in afternoon.
Question how do you deal with the skeeters during the bad months like june,july,august?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Bill,

We haven't had Mosquitos in our shop. We live in area called the green swamp and there are periodic blooms of Mosquitos when low pastures ( which have no fish) flood long enough (2 weeks) to hatch mosquitos. This year they have been flooded since early June which been long enough for the dragon fly larvae to catch up to them.

Lots of stuff eats Mosquitos - fish, birds, dragon flys, bats, and we have relatively few Mosquitos in the yard.
Walk around in the tall grass and we can find plenty.

Our woodturning club met in a millwork shop in the winter but could not meet there in the summer because of the Mosquitos.
The worst places we have for Mosquitos are the parking lots of out woodturning meetings.
Both are in populated areas that just don't have many mosquito eaters.

Oh yesterday we had the beginning of love bugs in the shop. We have plan for adding a big screened porch to one end the shop that should keep thr love bugs out and make a nice place to carve.

Al

Last edited:
Mosquitoes are a Feature!

Al,
I lived in that area a number of years ago and the wife is from Naples still has people down there. I guess the secret is work like lawn care people do 5-6 am till 11 am and then rest in the air conditioning in afternoon.
Question how do you deal with the skeeters during the bad months like june,july,august?

Bill,

I'm not Al but as our friends at Microsoft would say, the skeeters are a feature! Enough of them and big enough their wings contribute significantly to air circulation and cooling.

My eighteen wheeler was stolen back in the eighties and the ten wheeler was left on the beach at Daytona with a busted transmission and the trailer was in Orlando. It was 108 in the shade and no shade where I was working when I stabbed the 13 speed Road Ranger in after eyeballing the alignment of the double disk clutch assembly. They had drug the old transmission out with a wrecker, I put the new one in using a standard small lifting pad floor jack on a sheet of plywood. Tools and small metal parts in the sun were so hot I had to snatch them up and throw them in the tiny bits of shade to cool before I could handle them. The conditions I was working in made it about a twelve hour job rolling around in the sand.

The next weekend just a few days after we got back to Baton Rouge LA some friends came to my partner's house asking if he wanted to ride to Florida with them. They didn't understand why he cussed them out!

Hu

Last edited:
Hu,
I can relate with your trucking experiences. I was in the trucking industry for many years. Came out of the Air Force and was a mechanic a parts man and then in management up until 2009. I run a shop for car haulers for 21 years had 31 mechanics at one time 19 in the latter years. We done all kinds of work on them from welding to clutches, rearends, engines. So I can picrure you being on the side of a road or in truck stop lot trying to get your truck back in order.
We hauled S-10 and trailblazers until they closed the plant here in 2009. Some of our terminals you may be familiar with Shreveport and Port Allen.

Al
you may have seen some of our trucks in Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Jupitor, Miami.
PS I was stationed in Orlando at McCoy AFB 1969-70 so I can relate to your climate.:eek:

I can relate a bit

Hu,
I can relate with your trucking experiences. I was in the trucking industry for many years. Came out of the Air Force and was a mechanic a parts man and then in management up until 2009. I run a shop for car haulers for 21 years had 31 mechanics at one time 19 in the latter years. We done all kinds of work on them from welding to clutches, rearends, engines. So I can picrure you being on the side of a road or in truck stop lot trying to get your truck back in order.
We hauled S-10 and trailblazers until they closed the plant here in 2009. Some of our terminals you may be familiar with Shreveport and Port Allen.

Al
you may have seen some of our trucks in Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Jupitor, Miami.
PS I was stationed in Orlando at McCoy AFB 1969-70 so I can relate to your climate.:eek:

Bill I have passed by the GM factory in Shrevesport a bunch of times and if I'm not mistaken used to be able to see the Port Allen depot from the top of the bridge. A chuckle about that high rise bridge between Baton Rouge and Port Allen, the truck was out of diesel and instead of dropping five gallons of high dollar automotive diesel in it the driver tried to go to the Delta there in Port Allen on 415. Ran out of diesel square on top of the bridge and then my partner and the driver didn't know to pull the two filter cans and screen can to fill them with diesel to get it started. Little or no bleeding needed with the 318 Detroit to get it fired if you do that and they could have at least moved it off the bridge. They spent a couple hours up there and the local police weren't thrilled!

I have owned a few shops over the years and my first job working for someone else was as a mechanic at the ripe old age of fifteen. 50% commission and the owner fired me because he was annoyed that a kid was making $700-$800 a week in 1970. He was making that much off of me plus parts but . . . I was also building hotrods then and moved on to circle track cars, building from scratch before I was twenty.

Never worked on ten wheel trucks and farm equipment other than the occasional job I couldn't refuse for one reason or another or my own. My partner wasn't a mechanic but liked to tinker. As soon as we bought a used cabover I jacked up the cab and pointed out every bolt on the 8-71. "Do not touch any of these!" Geared for the gulf coast running and I was mighty jealous of the big Cats and Detroits in the hills, they got a little green at the fuel pumps though, I got six to eight miles to the gallon.

Trucking isn't much of a life but funny how everyone that has done it misses it when they quit. I never was a full time trucker but definitely felt the pull. Mostly trucked alfalfa into and around Louisiana since we can't grow it here.

Hu

Thanks, I am working towards that

Hu, I suggest you work on basic forms and not try to go thin or natural edge. Your a wowie so if you want post a photo and ask for form critique. Once you start nailing basic forms your head will quiet down.

Kelly,

Part of my reason for not posting more pictures is my lousy cell phone camera. I have found a charger and batteries for my DSLR which may or may not work once I can get power to it. If I get it working I can post at least moderate quality images. Got to check the bean count and then maybe I can get the batteries and charger on order.

I haven't turned anything lately I cared to post anyway. Obvious flaws with most of the stuff and past experience on critique forums(photography) has taught me that posting things with obvious flaws doesn't get deeper critiques of the things I am more interested in. Not really fair to assume the same thing will happen on WoW so I will try to get something up soon. Some pressing work on the farm to deal with for the next week or two and any turning will have to be squeezed in as opportunity knocks.

Thanks very much for your thoughts and your invitation to post pictures. I posted one just as a test a few months back and haven't tried again.

Hu

Back