• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A safety issue with the Minarik controller, and the fix.........

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
When I first converted my Woodfast lathe to variable speed, I purchased the 1 1/2hp Leeson motor and Minarik speed controller from CSUSA. After using this unit extensively for the past five years, I feel comfortable with the quality and performance.

However, I do see one distinct disadvantage to the tiny little toggle switch used for shut down with brake. In an emergency shut down, (something all of us turners NEED to consider) that little toggle switch is a possible safety hazard.

Most of us here are pretty handy with shop tools, so to nip that little problem in the bud, making a pivoting platform on the top of the controller was a pretty easy thing to do. I covered this stop platform with a piece of rubber foam......makes it even better!

To date, I haven't had an emergency shut down, but I've noticed I've developed a "subconscious memory" for the location of the stop switch. I seldom, if ever, actually look at the switch anymore during a shut down.......I just reach down with my hand and shut down the lathe. I see this as a very very good thing, because if I do ever have a need for an emergency stop, looking away from the problem, in itself, could be another problem.

Since I decided to mount my controller on the right end of the lathe, there is one specific circumstance when it's inconvenient. When parting a finish bowl from the waste block, I need to use one hand to steady the nearly separated bowl while shutting down. This platform switch is very easy tripped by reaching over with the parting tool and giving it a tap with the tool.

Anyway, just thought this might help anyone out who has purchased this conversion unit for variable speed.......

ooc

Attachments

• lee_dc_var_spe_con.jpg
    lee_dc_var_spe_con.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0440.jpg
    IMG_0440.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Looks very handy. A question. I've been turning for like 25 or more years and never felt the need to plug the tool rest hole in my banjo. Did you have a problem that led to that? I do put a wooden disc over my coke cans because walnut shavings in cokes don't taste nearly as good as peanuts. It also keeps the bees out in the summer months.

Looks very handy. A question. I've been turning for like 25 or more years and never felt the need to plug the tool rest hole in my banjo. Did you have a problem that led to that? I do put a wooden disc over my coke cans because walnut shavings in cokes don't taste nearly as good as peanuts. It also keeps the bees out in the summer months.

the bees [yellowjacket] will go into your mouth after a drink of Coke

odie

TOTW Team

Howdy John.......

Plugging the hole in the banjo probably isn't necessary......at this point, I probably wouldn't bother, but it's there and handy.......and it's more or less a habitual thing for me now.

At sometime long past, there was an instance where some sap, or sticky stuff mixed with sanding dust got lodged in the hole and was a nuisance.....until it was cleaned out. That's what led up to my making the plug. Making it was probably an over-reaction on my part, but as long as I have it, I use it.

ooc

good idea Odie i think my control is a bit smaller and i have glued 4 small magnets on the back so I can place it next to were im working works for me

Cheers Ian

odie

TOTW Team
good idea Odie i think my control is a bit smaller and i have glued 4 small magnets on the back so I can place it next to were im working works for me

Cheers Ian

Ian.......That seems like a fine solution as well.......

Hard to predict how one would react to a disaster. In the past, I've wondered about the possibilities of one not finding the "kill button", if it's not in the same place all the time......

Don't take that as a dig......just bringing it up for discussion.

In that one instance I mentioned in my previous post, where I'm parting off a finished bowl, the stop button is out of reach, although I can reach it easily enough with the parting tool in my hand.

In both cases I've mentioned here (for both you and me), I can foresee the switch location could be a problem, (if the stars and moons align properly!:D). I guess there is no perfect solution to this at all......no matter where the switch is, there is a conceivable problem with it, if the circumstances are just right for that problem to occur.

Probabilities vs possibilities, I guess!

ooc

Back