• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

AAW Christmas Ornament Weight

I've read or heard that there is a particular acceptable weight for a Christmas ornament but I don't know where to find it again and am not sure what it is. Seems to me that it was around 5oz or so. Can someone confirm that or point me in the right direction? Thank you. Mel

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have always heard 2 Oz but I've found that it's very easy to stay well below that even with heavier woods if you just pay attention while hollowing them.

My wife who makes 200 ornaments per year tries for a 1/2 oz or less. Certainly no more than one oz. She bought a mini scale for this purpose, about $15 to 20. You do not want limb dip!

If the tree's artificial, makes little difference. If it's farmed, you can probably still find limbs large enough for 2-3 oz ornaments that will allow them to be seen. We take our tree from our land, no attempt having been made to get thicker foliage, so I prefer under an ounce. Otherwise you have to get pretty close to the trunk.

Lighter weight is the rule if it's Charlie Brown's Christmas tree.:p We bought one for our daughter as the show is one of her favorites.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
If you have very many 5 ounce ornaments, even on an artificial tree, they would need to be evenly distributed around the tree or else the tree could topple over. Making an ornament under one or two ounces shouldn't be difficult. I just weighed a bowl that is 7" diameter and three inches tall and the weight is 2⅝ ounces.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
If you have very many 5 ounce ornaments, even on an artificial tree, they would need to be evenly distributed around the tree or else the tree could topple over. Making an ornament under one or two ounces shouldn't be difficult. I just weighed a bowl that is 7" diameter and three inches tall and the weight is 2⅝ ounces.

Bill

The vision of a ornaments toppling a tree struck me funny.

Strength in numbers.
Which weighs more a ton of 5 oz ornaments or a ton of 1 oz ornaments?

Snow flakes don't weigh much but a bunch can break tree limb and a bunch more can cave in a roof.

Have fun
Al

Paul Jackson of Thames Valley Woodturning Guild brought in this ornament to our meeting last nite in London, Ont.
We'll have to find a large tree and run an anchor to the opposite side!

Bernie

Attachments

• 029trimmed.jpg
    029trimmed.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 40
I've heard .5 to 1.5 ounces. I made my first ornaments this year, and they all came out under an ounce without my trying very hard. I just made them and then weighed them to see what changes I needed to make, and I was golden.

Just using the generic term ornament can mean many different things. The little acorns and bird houses that many make should not have any issues with weight.
Other styles of ornaments, depending on their size can start to tip the scales. Keeping them under 2 oz is a good rule of thumb. I have weighed some of those resin type, from the store with the gold crown, and they can be over 4 oz.
These pictured are all 2.75" x 7.5" and just under 2 oz, Could I have made them lighter, sure, but I don't want them so fragile that they break the first time they fall off the tree. IMO an ornament should be able to put up with a little punishment and last for many holiday seasons.
If an ornament weighs too much, put in a place of honor in it's own stand.

Attachments

• 3Orn (1277 x 935).jpg
    3Orn (1277 x 935).jpg
    165 KB · Views: 26
Back