• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Acrylic and dyed bowl blanks?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Acrylic and dyed stabilized. Just wondering if anyone has been doing this with bowl blanks. I ran across these knife handle blanks online, and got to wondering if it could be applied to bowl blanks.....? I suspect it may not penetrate very deep, so could be problematic.....? It would make for some interesting bowls, though. :D

-----odie-----
s-l500.jpg

The problem is the size of the blanks. Both pressure casting and vacuum stabilizing are restricted by the size of the tanks and the curing oven. I have stabilised a couple of small bowls after rough turning and like how well they turn but Im limited by the size of my toaster oven to cure it in.
Im assuming the worthless wood casting with alumilite can get away with somewhat bigger blanks and have seen folks demo casting without pressure using lower viscosity resin to good effect.

Acrylic and dyed stabilized. Just wondering if anyone has been doing this with bowl blanks. I ran across these knife handle blanks online, and got to wondering if it could be applied to bowl blanks.....? I suspect it may not penetrate very deep, so could be problematic.....? It would make for some interesting bowls, though. :D

-----odie-----
s-l500.jpg
I do 3 1/2 by 12 iin maple bowl blanks in a glass vac and it's right to the core. Can send you a stabilized blank for you to test turn next time I stabilize some, if you want.

odie

TOTW Team
I do 3 1/2 by 12 iin maple bowl blanks in a glass vac and it's right to the core. Can send you a stabilized blank for you to test turn next time I stabilize some, if you want.

That would be mighty kind of you, Glenn......allow me to at least pay the postage. Will send a PM in a moment. Thanks. :D

-----odie-----

odie

TOTW Team
On second thought, Glenn......why not allow me to send you a bowl blank. Would it be better to send you a roughed and seasoned bowl......or, can you work with a raw block of wood?

Thanks, again......:D

-----odie-----

Many of my roughed and seasoned bowls have anchor seal, but some do not. Would that be a consideration?

Back