• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Additional Info on Woodturning Design

My previous posting partly described my intentions for a new Web site. To elaborate a little it is intended that some emphasis would be placed on the use of computers as a creative aid to woodturning design. I have devised a system of 3d experimentation using an existing low cost software package, not intended for the use I have devised. Some sample experiments are shown in the members photo gallery. It is possible to render forms with real wood textures taken from digital images - some of the textures shown are from digital landscape elements. It forms an alternative way of arriving at interesting surface texture or decoration. No enhanced computer skills are needed. It is windows based, if you can use a mouse, open files etc you can be creating images within a few minutes!! I am UK based and have applied for funding to get a site started to concentrate on creative approaches to woodturning particularly suited to those of us with limited drawing/visualisation skills. There seems to be hesitation in supporting the scheme because I think it is felt that most woodturners are probably not into enhancing their design skills or computing. That may be true in the UK but not necessarily elsewhere, the world is a smaller place now!! I hope this may stimulate some discussion/comment.

Thanks

Back