Adhesive for BBQ pig-tail flipper

Discussion in 'Newbie' started by Jamie Straw, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

What adhesive would you recommend for a BBQ pig-tail flipper handle fitting? And how snuggly should the shaft fit in the hole (when hole is dry)? I bought one of these to fit up for a Christmas present. They indicate a 1/4" hole, which was 1/32th too small to even get the darned thing on. There's no ferrule, so seems hole needs to be just big enough, so as not to be ugly, in which case I'm concerned about there not being enough adhesive.

PS: I'm inserting it 7/8", and thought I'd rough that part of the rod with 80-grit sandpaper to help give it tooth.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  2. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Home Page:
    If the tool shaft is straight, I drill a hole the same diameter.
    I generally use no adhesive if I'm keeping the tool. I bang the end of the handle on a bench to seat the tool. Most of my gouges are fitted this way and they rarely come loose. If I don't have a tighnfit or itmgets loose later, I add a few drops of thick CA to hold it and reseat the tool.
    If the tool is going somewhere else I use thick CA when seating the handle.

If it is a tapered shaft, I use a Ferrel and undersize the hole. The diameter I use is diameter of the shaft that will be an inch inside the handle. Driving the handle on compreseses the wood for a tight fit.
    Same rules for adhesive.

A BBQ Tool will like outlive its handle many time over.
    A turning tool handle will likely outlive many tools
    The CA will break Withna good whack to allow the handle to be replaced or reused with a new tool.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  3. Clifton C

Clifton C

I made five last year, gave four away and glad I kept one. Great reviews and I love mine. I made the big ones, used epoxy, probably 2 inches in the handle, dremal and cutoff wheel to scarify the shaft...Probably a little overboard but I could never forgive myself if a five pound brontosaurus steak ended up on the ground...
    I'm sure the hole size was just enough to slip in with a bit of squeeze out...

Rusty Fleeman likes this.
  4. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

Hah! That's my approach.:D Thanks for the real-life advice. The person I'm making this for BBQ's all year round -- sun, rain or snow -- so I want it to be good.

5. john lucas

john lucas

One thing I do when installing round rods in round holes using epoxy is to leave extra room so the hydraulic pressure won't push the rod back out. Another method I use is to drill a very small hole sideways through the handle into the hole you drill. When you push the rod in excess epoxy pushes out the small hole and seals it and at the same time relieves any pressure so the rod doesn't squirt back out. I just wipe off the excess epoxy with alcohol and when it dries you can hardly see the hole.

6. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    There's also trapped air which acts like a spring and will push the rod back out. Scarifying the shaft as Clifton does helps to alleviate that problem. Also make the hole deeper than needed so that the excess epoxy has a place to go. There's no need to use a lot of epoxy, just enough to coat the contacting surfaces. If nothing else does, experience will teach you that it is better to put the epoxy down the hole rather than on the shaft. Don't ask how I know this and I won't tell any lies. :D

7. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

Clifton, did you provide a loop (of leather, for instance) through a hole in the handle for hanging the flipper on a hook? Not sure whether most people would use that or not.

8. Clifton C

Clifton C

I didn't, not sure why, sounds like a good idea. I did add a cork to that wicked sharp point though...

Rusty Fleeman likes this.
  9. Mark Hepburn

Mark Hepburn

Jamie, lots of my buddies barbecue down here also and so do I. I agree with Clifton and John, and use epoxy. I also drew a TT hole in the side to let the air pressure out as I seat the rod.

Definitely on the lanyard. Makes it a lot easier to just hang it somewhere when you're smoking or grilling or whatever. It's going to be a very nice thoughtful gift that your recipient will love. I know everyone that I have given one to has really enjoyed it