• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Allan Batty Demo Videos Free

I don't know how long these will be available on youtube, I believe only a short period. Two roughly one hour videos showing Allan Batty demonstrating his methods. Much more to be learned than the topics indicate. Each video is roughly one hour, excellent close in camera work and very detailed explanations. "Master" tends to be a bit overused word these days, Allan Batty is a true master turner. A master instructor too if these videos are any indication.

Hu

Hand chasing threads and making an acorn box.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0iEd0kD0S4

The skew chisel and making a chair or table leg with offsets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfeLAHQSbqk

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I remember watching the threading video back when I was learning to chase threads. However you always learn something. He mentions removing the burr on scrapers for finish cuts of closed pore woods like lignum vitae and Boxwood but leaving the burr on when cutting open pore woods like Oak. Now that statement wasn't about threading because you can't thread Oak but I don't believe I've heard other people mention polishing the burr off for hard close grain woods. Fascinating. Will have to try it when I have the opportunity.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I remember watching the threading video back when I was learning to chase threads. However you always learn something. He mentions removing the burr on scrapers for finish cuts of closed pore woods like lignum vitae and Boxwood but leaving the burr on when cutting open pore woods like Oak. Now that statement wasn't about threading because you can't thread Oak but I don't believe I've heard other people mention polishing the burr off for hard close grain woods. Fascinating. Will have to try it when I have the opportunity.

I always remove the bur from scrapers -- partly because it's not much of a bur to start with because I use the Tormek. This allows me to get a very sharp clean edge, but then I always use a a burnishing tool (a very smooth oval shaped steel rod that is as hard as a file) to put a strong smooth solid bur on the edge. Using this method, I can put a bur on a scraper that ranges from a very tiny bur that takes ultra fine shavings up to a really wicked bur that can jerk the tool out of your hands if you aren't prepared for such an aggressive tool. The other reason for using a burnishing tool to put a bur on my scrapers is that the bur is very solid and lasts a long time. I'll bet that Robo would smile approvingly at the bur on my big scraper. :rolleyes:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I always remove the bur from scrapers -- partly because it's not much of a bur to start with because I use the Tormek. This allows me to get a very sharp clean edge, but then I always use a a burnishing tool (a very smooth oval shaped steel rod that is as hard as a file) to put a strong smooth solid bur on the edge. Using this method, I can put a bur on a scraper that ranges from a very tiny bur that takes ultra fine shavings up to a really wicked bur that can jerk the tool out of your hands if you aren't prepared for such an aggressive tool. The other reason for using a burnishing tool to put a bur on my scrapers is that the bur is very solid and lasts a long time. I'll bet that Robo would smile approvingly at the bur on my big scraper. :rolleyes:

How do you roll a bur on a thread chaser? -:)

Something to cut your teeth on :)

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
He was removing the burr on a round nose scraper used to clean up the inside of the threaded lid. thread chasers should be honed so there isn't a burr.

free videos

I got my free invite as a "gift" from Craft supplies USA. Didn't say an ending date. I already have the one on the skew, and not interested in chasing threads at this juncture. I just opened the skew video and it's all there, Maybe you guys should have bougth some things from them this year.(or maybe it was because I had a large order!!!!!!! ) Gretch

me too

I got my free invite as a "gift" from Craft supplies USA. Didn't say an ending date. I already have the one on the skew, and not interested in chasing threads at this juncture. I just opened the skew video and it's all there, Maybe you guys should have bougth some things from them this year.(or maybe it was because I had a large order!!!!!!! ) Gretch

Gretch,

Their "gift" is what called my attention to the video's but when I saw they were just placed on youtube where anyone that found them could watch I decided to help people find them! ;) While I don't see an ending date I have seen video's like this left out for a short time and then only available for purchase. I don't know if this will be the case here but I'm thinking it might be.

There was a good bit more than chasing threads on the other video. I know you are considerably more advanced than I am but there were a few things I wouldn't have done or would have done differently on the way to making a lidded box, an acorn. Might be a few nuggets on the video for you, might not be. At the price it might be worth your time watching. I enjoyed watching Allan Batty work and listening to him even when I wasn't learning anything at the moment.

I don't know how many are going on youtube but these are the first video's in a series from Allan I believe, I'll be watching for more, which might be the whole reason for this "gift"! :D

Hu

Thanks for sharing Hu. Great videos packed with gems. I have watched quite a few of Stuart Batty's videos (Allan's son right?) and noted some of the common techniques, mannerisms and speech patterns. I'm one of those who are skew challenged so this is good stuff.

Back