• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

ambrosia maple

what do I need to do to prepare freshly cut ambrosia maple for turning? I lucked out today big time. I was out scouting storm damaged trees to haul away for those poor home owners who don't own a lathe of their own:) When one of the guys next door to an unfortunate red oak told me at the university where he works they had cut down a bunch of maple trees that were infested with beetles. He told me I could have any of it I wanted (he is head of the grounds), so I went and picked up a few truck loads and have discovered these are infested with the ambrosia beetle and now I have close to 2cords of it in my back yard. I have disected a little of it on the bandsaw and found that not only is there ambrosia maple in my pile I have some highly figured mapled includined birds eye, curly and fiddleback.

I'd say rough turn as much as you can first. The rest try to get the pith out and Anchor seal the bks while leaving them as long (lenght) as possible.

rough turning it is my thought too. someone else suggested I heavily paint heavy blocks with thick house paint to kill the larvae until I could get them turned.

I din't think house paint would be any better than Anchor Seal. I doubt either will kill the larve. :)

My thinking is you should send several blanks to me for a detailed analysis. Unfortunately I would not be able to return them.

Website
www.hiltonhandcraft.com
woodboy said:
rough turning it is my thought too. someone else suggested I heavily paint heavy blocks with thick house paint to kill the larvae until I could get them turned.

It'll only kill the larvae that the paint comes in contact with. It won't soak in very much so you'll still likely be left with some larvae in there. You can try fumigating it with whatever insecticide or strong solvent, etc. that you can find. BUT, you'll be turning that wood later so think about it twice and let it sit for 3 times as long as you think you should before turning it. ;)

The paint is better than nothing for helping to prevent cracks but it's not much better. Use a commercial preparation or just make your own.

Single best tx for the larvae I've seen is HSS treatment at high RPM. Bug vs. Steel rarely results in a win for the bug.

Heh, heh,
Dietrich

Back