• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Any demo videos or dvds for Douglas Fisher?

hello guys,

As most are, I'm very impressed with Douglas Fisher's work and would love to see him in action. I've seen references here of a video and demos, but I cannot find anything online beyond couple of articles describing his method.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I haven't seen any either, but he did a demo at SWAT a few years ago. I got a DVD of his program, but it isn't very good ... bad audio, poor camera angles, and poor lighting. Ithink that he was using Mohawk commercial dyes that aren't available as retail products because of the chemicals used. However, I think that there are retail products that are entirely satisfactory and less expensive. He has been coming to Canyon Studios in north Texas to conduct classes periodically.

Thanks Bill, I email Doug after I posted my question and he just replied. He said he is no longer doing travel and only teaches in his studio. I may take a course with him in the future. I also saw private YouTube video, I believe it is for Carolina Woodturner club members.

He is such a talented individual, I hope he captures his talent on DVD one day.

I don't plan to use woodturning for income, it is a hobby and there is so much turning that I can do a week and sooner or later I will be repeating the same things over and over. Getting into pyrography, carving, and dying wood gives me something to get creative with and work on during the week on the same piece. Doug's work is breathtaking for me. I love his work and gives me new dimension to turning.

Plus, winter is cold and I get to do something indoors :)

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I don't plan to use woodturning for income, it is a hobby and there is so much turning that I can do a week and sooner or later I will be repeating the same things over and over. Getting into pyrography, carving, and dying wood gives me something to get creative with and work on during the week on the same piece. Doug's work is breathtaking for me. I love his work and gives me new dimension to turning.

Plus, winter is cold and I get to do something indoors :)
I also like to explore new things and if I get lucky do something no one else has done.

I also appreciate that,specializing and doing the same thing better and better can be rewarding too.

I encourage new turners to do 4-6-10 of the same object before moving to the next challenge. When you turn the same object repeatedly by the 3rd or 4th you know the steps, methods of holding, the tools etc. and you concentrate on shape and surface quality. If a new turner turns one of everything there is little opportunity to get beyond the mechanics of making the object.

Righ Al, I'm not stopping turning. I turn on weekends in my driveway when weather permits, and entering winter season just means less turning. I will still be turning (and I do need a lot of practice), but getting into embellishment (carving, dying, burning) allows me to turn few pieces when I can then do the rest indoors. Carving probably the exception due to the dust.

Fisher's style speaks to me, I will probably change my mind once I try it. I do plan to take few classes with different turners down the road when work (and wife above all!) permit it.

Back