Any news on the Powermatic 3520C?

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by odie, Aug 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. odie

odie

I'm interested in having a look/see of this lathe when it comes out.......

powermatic2.JPG

Powermatic.JPG

2. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    It's a very nice machine ... A favorite of the "herd".:D (and lone wolves)

odie likes this.
  3. odie

odie

I see CSUSA is no longer offering the 3520B in their catalog. Must have sold them all........wondering if that means they are waiting for the 3520C to be introduced......?

The 3520C is not on the Powermatic site.......

-----odie-----

4. John Turpin

John Turpin

Here in a month or so, I'm going to be buying a lathe. Some lathe. It sure would be nice if the C was out by then.

5. RichColvin

RichColvin

PowerMatic's big sale is usually in October, I believe.

John Turpin likes this.
  6. Doug Rasmussen

Doug Rasmussen

I don't know much about PM lathes.......but, it seems an insult to potential purchaser's intelligence to suggest item "D" , anti-rotation tailstock key, is one of a "vast collection of new innovations"? My old Delta home shop lathe from the 1940's had that.

Bill Boehme likes this.
  7. odie

odie

I see the 3520c is now available from Packard in the most recent catalog, page 51.

Still seeking input from those who own this lathe.

Price $4500 w/free shipping.

-----odie-----

8. Fred Belknap

Fred Belknap

Home Page:
    Looks like a nice lathe, They usually go on sale in Feb. & March.

9. odie

odie

Probably the first ones on the market.....best to wait and see what first hand reviews come up.....just to see what bugs (if any) the first models have.

-----odie-----

10. Ely Walton

Ely Walton

Saw Nick Cook demo-ing one last weekend at the Klingspor Extravaganza in Hickory, NC. It struck me as very tall, wide and robust (no puns please)... (Nick was making his magic salt shakers - very friendly guy...)

Ely

11. John Turpin

John Turpin

Many of the online dealers stopped listing the B a few weeks ago.

12. john lucas

john lucas

Yea Nick is a great guy. He has been in on the development of the various Powermatic lathes since the beginning. I think Rude Osolnik was heavily involved in the design of the first 3520. Every since then Nick has been in on it as well. I know he had a lot of input on the new 2442 which is a fantastic machine. I put in my 2 cents worth when I had 3 of the Powermatic engineers over for 2 days of turning classes. We put them on 3 different lathes so they could all experience the pros and cons of various features. I like to think some of that went into the development of the 3520C because they were working on that when they took my class.

odie likes this.
  13. odie

odie

I see Packard does not list the 3520c online right now......was it listed online, or just in the catalog? It looks like whatever they had might already be gone! Wow......that was quick! :D\

The 3520c is still not on the Powermatic site.....and CSUSA doesn't have it yet either. :(

-----odie-----

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017 at 8:32 PM
  14. Dean Center

Dean Center

You might call CraftSupplies. My Oldtimers prevents me from recalling the fellow's name, but their equipment guy is really knowledgeable and helpful.

15. Bill Boehme

Home Page:
    Kip Christensen, Rex Burningham, and Kirk DeHeer

16. odie

odie

Yeah, I think I know who you mean.......the same guy I talked to when I bought my Woodfast lathe in 1992, and also the same guy I talked to when I purchased my VS kit a dozen, or so years later. I can't remember his name either, but he works in the warehouse, and assembles machinery......their technical adviser. He did impress me as being quite knowledgeable.

He's not those who Bill mentioned....unless things have changed.

I'm not going to purchase a new lathe in the near future, though......just very curious about how the new owners of the 3520c like the lathe. :D

It's my opinion that a rotating headstock would better fit my needs than a sliding headstock......but, I could eventually convince myself otherwise, I suppose! :eek:

-----odie-----

17. Fred Belknap

Fred Belknap

Home Page:
    Odie I know that most of us end up liking the system we have but I find that sliding the tailstock so I can work off the end of the lathe sure is easier on my back. I have a swing away now which makes it easier. I also have the lathe mounted buffing and it gives me more room to buff without hitting the ways. With larger bowls it helps a lot.

odie likes this.
  18. charlie knighton

charlie knighton

Odie.....I had a rotating head stock on my 1st lathe....Reeves drive full size delta......the head stock was not the problem.....it's the tool rest......they give u an extension for your tool rest which is bolted on to the tool rest.....you cannot tighten it enough.....it gets pulled into the turning......u think I got to tighten this.....forget it......accident waiting to happen

Bill Boehme and odie like this.
  19. Bill Boehme

Home Page:
    We might have the same model lathe. My old lathe that I no longer use is the Delta 1440 "Boat Anchor" (model 46-715). As you said, the cantilevered tool rest is a problem. Also, rotating the headstock means that you also have to change your turning position to stay out of the line of fire and then you're being crowded by the headstock.

After one or two times I quit rotating the headstock and realized that sliding the headstock worked much better for me.

odie and charlie knighton like this.
  20. Dean Center

Dean Center

Roger! (at CraftSupplies, it just came to me)