• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Anybody familiar with queenwood?

I have some queenwood I'm going to turn. I was wondering if anyone has turned it, and whether you like it. Also, where is it from?
Lou Williams

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
The Queenwood I am familiar with came from Amazon region of Peru (via Jim King if that name means anything to you)

The wood I have is dark, heavily spalted and still wet. It appears to behave about as well as any wet tropical wood.

Now that being said, what you have could easily be a completely different wood.

TTFN
Ralph

I have turned the Peruvian Queenwood; it is very pretty but also very prone to cracking.

I assume we're talking about the same wood. That is, a part cream color and a part deep maroon color. It' really quite beautiful.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Maybe. From some quick digging Queenwood (Peru) is Swartzia ?

I have Queenwood Dark which is Swartzia leiocalycina

But not all Swartzia is Queenwood

Swartzia arborescens one type of Dalmatan
Swartzia benthamiana? Royal wood

(found from a post by Jim King)

Back