Anyone have experience with the PowerMatic Tailstock Swing Away

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by RichColvin, Sep 3, 2017.

1. RichColvin

RichColvin

I am thinking that, if this is a good device, I should get one for my 3520B before they go away (now that there is a 3520C coming).

Rich

2. charlie knighton

charlie knighton

I saw one Turner had a pulley system he used to hoist the tailstock up and out of way

3. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Home Page:
    I have used one a couple of times in demos.
    Swing away to hollow swing it back to turn off the bottom. It works.

You still have to lift but not the full weight to get the tailstock back in place.

The tailstock could be in your way when turning off the end of the lathe.

I have the ONEWAY swinger. No lifting just swings it back out of the way at the same height
    I have used the jamieson system, and articulated systems with the tails stock swung out.
    these would work with the powermatic swinger.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  4. Bill Blasic

Bill Blasic

It works great, I have my bed extension in the lower configuration and it swings by without a problem. Sure is nice to swing out of the way instead of lifting it off and it truly is out of the way when lowered into place.

5. Fred Belknap

Fred Belknap

Home Page:
    I have the one from JT Turnings and use it all the time. It is a real back saver. I keep the headstock about the middle of the ways, this lets me lean against the end of the lathe to do the inside of bowls. With a bed extension it probably isn't as valuable.

6. Paul Gilbert

Paul Gilbert

I have the one that Robust made for the 3520 and like it. Robust no longer makes these. I like the Powermatic swing away better than the robust, as it gets the tail stock completely out of the way.

7. Steve Nix

Steve Nix

I have one on my 1642 Jet, same one as on Powermatic just Not mustard. Love it so much I had a machine shop built one like it for my Stubby. Swings completely out of the way to work from end of lathe and no lifting and finding a place it the shop.. imo

8. R Henrickson

R Henrickson

I have a PM swing-away on my 3520. I'm happy with it. It is wonderful not to have to heft the tailstock on and off the bed.

9. DON FRANK

DON FRANK

I got one at the AAW and love it. I had a bed extension on a roll around cart that I used before but this is much quicker and easier. Very little effort to lift back up in place.

10. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

I have a swingaway on my Nove DVR. It has a hinged nut and bolt type catch which could be a pain to undo when swinging it away but it is very sturdy and once unlatched easy to deal with.