• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Anyone have experience with the PowerMatic Tailstock Swing Away

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
I am thinking that, if this is a good device, I should get one for my 3520B before they go away (now that there is a 3520C coming).

Rich

I saw one Turner had a pulley system he used to hoist the tailstock up and out of way

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I have used one a couple of times in demos.
Swing away to hollow swing it back to turn off the bottom. It works.

You still have to lift but not the full weight to get the tailstock back in place.

The tailstock could be in your way when turning off the end of the lathe.

I have the ONEWAY swinger. No lifting just swings it back out of the way at the same height
I have used the jamieson system, and articulated systems with the tails stock swung out.
these would work with the powermatic swinger.

Last edited:
It works great, I have my bed extension in the lower configuration and it swings by without a problem. Sure is nice to swing out of the way instead of lifting it off and it truly is out of the way when lowered into place.

Website
www.steercreekwood.com
I have the one from JT Turnings and use it all the time. It is a real back saver. I keep the headstock about the middle of the ways, this lets me lean against the end of the lathe to do the inside of bowls. With a bed extension it probably isn't as valuable.

I have the one that Robust made for the 3520 and like it. Robust no longer makes these. I like the Powermatic swing away better than the robust, as it gets the tail stock completely out of the way.

I have one on my 1642 Jet, same one as on Powermatic just Not mustard. Love it so much I had a machine shop built one like it for my Stubby. Swings completely out of the way to work from end of lathe and no lifting and finding a place it the shop.. imo

I got one at the AAW and love it. I had a bed extension on a roll around cart that I used before but this is much quicker and easier. Very little effort to lift back up in place.

It works great, I have my bed extension in the lower configuration and it swings by without a problem. Sure is nice to swing out of the way instead of lifting it off and it truly is out of the way when lowered into place.
Hi Bill, concerning the swing away and the extension on the lower setting. Do you have to pull the swing away further back so its more out of the way when you use the lower bed extension for larger turnings? I am thing of getting the swing away if this allows me to turn on the lower extension without it being in the way.
Thanks
Dennis

I have not had to do anything other than release it, it is out of the way of anything done in the lower position.

Given my age and the weight of this tailstock I don’t see turning at the end of the lathe without the swing away. No issues.

For me the swing away was a good purchase. It works great, but I wouldn't agree that it is actually completely out of the way. When hollowing and when I turn the inside of bowls my right leg can push against it. but I could just pull it farther with a bungie cord hooked. It isn't really a huge problem. I'd say that I wouldn't want to be without it. It's much easier to remove the tailstock for hollowing, etc. than if I had to lift it off every time. Just too heavy to do frequently by lifting it off. The whole point of having a sliding head is to be able to get at the inside of a bowl or hollow form head on. You can certainly make something on your own. I've seen many on the internet. However, I usually just choose to spend my time woodworking rather than upgrading my machines with moemade items.

I have one on my 1642 Jet, same one as on Powermatic just Not mustard. Love it so much I had a machine shop built one like it for my Stubby. Swings completely out of the way to work from end of lathe and no lifting and finding a place it the shop.. imo
My jet1840 is along the wall with a shelf between wall and lathe. About how much Space does the jet tail stock swing away need to completely be out of the way

Back