• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Anyone have opinions on a jet dc1100 dust collector

I fella nearby has a jet dc-1100 1100cfm dust collector.

Anyone have any opinions on this collector? I'd like to get something a little heavier than my shopvac, as my shop is in my garage, which my wife uses to park her car.

It's about 6 years old, light use, clean, $250.

Is it worth it? They look to be at least twice that new.

Thanks

That's what I paid for a similar delta unit, which also included an accessory kit with tubes, connectors, gates, etc. A lot depends on which filter bag/cannister it has. The fine filtering cannisters are really expensive and the cheapest bags are probably not very effective.

it doesn't have any hoses or connectors with it, just what is on the unit itself.

i haven't gone to see it, yet, just have seen pictures. the fella who has it was just a hobbiest (not that that is bad, because that's what i am, too) who didn't use it that much. i would imagine it just has the standard bags on it, so i would have to upgrade to the felted bags to cut down on the dust in the garage (wife).

the problem i am running into, is there are not a lot of dust collectors around my area for sale.

Bret,
Something to consider is the noise they make and the room they take up. You mention your shop is in the garage. If you own your home can you build a small attached tool shed to the side of the garage. If so then the bag at 30 microns is no big deal since it will be outside (vent the attached shed well). The noise and space are also taken care of. If you cannot add a shed make sure you have 1 micron or less bags. 1100 cfm is a pretty good unit for a hobby shop as you mentioned.

If your gonna have to upgrade bags I would say look into something like this
http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-HP-Dust-Collector-with-2-5-Micron-Bag-and-New-Impeller/G1029Z2
add one of these http://www.grizzly.com/products/30-Gallon-Dust-Collection-2-Stage-Cyclone-Separator/G3376
and you will have a great setup for around the same money. I have this setup and it works great, with the separator I only have to empty the bag once maybe twice a year. It is setup outside the shop so I can barely hear it when it is running.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have one. I've been pretty happy with it. It is better than my older Powermatic. Ideally it needs to be bigger but then that's like asking about shop size. You can never have a shop, dust collector, or compressor that is too big.
The lower bag is a little bit of a pain to change. I punched a hole through it near the top and put a short Tie wrap around the steel band. This gives me enough of a loop to grab onto to flex the steel band to pop the bag loose.
I did put a 1 micron bag on top. It reduced the volume a little but I think it keeps more harmful dust out of the air.

Website
www.gulfcoastwoodturners.org
Jet Dust Collector

Jet 1100 should be adequate for most shops. OEM bags are near worthless. The do a very poor job of catching the dust. Mostly they just redistribute the dust in your shop.

I recommend hurling the OEM bags far into the darkness of the night and replacing them with bags from American Fabric Filter Co. (http://www.americanfabricfilter.com/). They can provide bags that filter to 1 micron with very little loss of capacity.

Attached is a picture of my Jet DC-1200 equipped with bags from American Fabric Filter Co. - John

Attachments

• Dust Bag 001 (Large).jpg
    Dust Bag 001 (Large).jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 30
HOLY SMOKES!!! :eek:

Now THAT'S a bag!!

does the bottom bag also filter? (i've never owned a DC before), or is that a solid material? If I get a 1 micron (or less) bag for the top, do I also need to get something for the bottom?

BTW, anyone know what the 1 micron material is? if i could find the material, my wife could sew one up for me in 5 minutes.

Brett - I *used* to have that exact unit. I called it a dust "distributor", not a dust collector. If you are looking at a used unit, I would suggest that you go and turn it on. Watch as the bags inflate and see the plume of very fine dust that eminates (you won't see this on a new unit because the bags have not been filled with dust yet). I had my Jet 1100 for a few years and my shop was completely coated with a layer of very fine dust - exactly the stuff that will ruin your lungs. I sold my Jet 1100 and bought a Clear Vue cyclone. A couple of years later and you can eat off my bench - no dust anywhere! Granted, they are much more expensive, but how much are your lungs worth? I bought the Clear Vue (and LOVE it), but I think most of the high end cyclones with good filtration are good choices. I would suggest that you Google Bill Pentz and read what he has to say about dust "collection".

Good luck!! Mike

Back