• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

"Aspirations"

Walnut and ebonized maple hollow form. 13.25" tall and 6" wide. Since no photos will upload in the gallery area, then I am following DD's example and posting here! :D

Attachments

• DSC_0312.JPG
    DSC_0312.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 160

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I would guess that this isn't your first attempt at woodturning -- is it? ;) Absolutely stunning to say the least.

This meets more than one of the meanings of aspiration -- striving for lofty goals as well as leaving one gasping for air upon seeing your very impressive accomplishment.

I would guess that this isn't your first attempt at woodturning -- is it? ;) Absolutely stunning to say the least.

This meets more than one of the meanings of aspiration -- striving for lofty goals as well as leaving one gasping for air upon seeing your very impressive accomplishment.

so very kind of you Bill............many thanks!

Roger,
I can't get over the look and design quality of this piece. I love the light feel and structural balance . Your finishing isn't bad either.
You have mastered your craft. Show us some more. Gary

Roger,
I can't get over the look and design quality of this piece. I love the light feel and structural balance . Your finishing isn't bad either.
You have mastered your craft. Show us some more. Gary

Thank you for noticing the design of this piece, Gary.......I put some thought into the look I wanted for it. I much appreciate your nice comments!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Roger,

Nice piece.

My one suggestion is to try different lighting for the photography.

Photo is fine for showing us what you have done.
A better lit photo would show off what you have accomplished for publication, selling, or a show entry

I see reflections of the finial and base And get an illusion that there are three different finishes on the main globe.

Roger,

Nice piece.

A better lit photo would show off what you have accomplished for publication, selling, or a show entry

I see reflections of the finial and base And get an illusion that there are three different finishes on the main globe.

Thanks for the comments! I just got a new photo booth and lighting setup. One of the bulbs was broken in shipment, and I am just learning to use the Nikon DSLR my son got me for Christmas last year........after reading the manual that came with the camera, I still have to play with the thing to figure out how to do it better. Once I get all the lights working and figure out some exposure and f stops, then I should get better results.

Thanks again!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Roger,

Nice piece.

Al, I will take exception to some of your photography suggestions. What you don't want to see is a picture of the photographer, camera, umbrella, or softbox to the extent possible -- in other words, no huge reflections. However, at the same time, it is essential for a glossy item to show specular highlights and variation in illumination to achieve a good two dimensional representation of a three dimensional object so that the viewer realistically perceives its depth. Otherwise the image will appear flat, lifeless, and lacking depth.

Roger, if you haven't tried it yet, making use of light modifiers will go a very long way towards you being able to control the shadows and hot spots. These modifiers are simply cards of various sizes -- black cards, white cards, and cards with aluminum foil on them. They can be used to block some areas of harsh bright lighting, increasing the depth of shadows, or adding more light where needed.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Bill,
I'm not sure we disagree. Shadows do a great job of showing 3 dimensions. Often a side light and maybe a front side light can show off the piece without a huge hotspot and have a shadow. Maybe you can't eliminate all the hotspots in the piece. It would prefer not to see the finial's reflection in the piece but maybe that is just me.

In this piece I would want to bring out how the curves on the finial element match the curves in the form.

Need more light on the finial.

Al

Last edited:
the learning curve is highly individual, the quest to the norm or to self depends upon the moment in time

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Charlie, are you a philosopher, sage, seer, oracle, or perhaps a soothsayer?

If yes to any of the above, what is the meaning of turning wood? And ... what does it mean when a curve more closely resembles a wall? If I may be granted one more question, are more tools the answer to attaining the ultimate state of zen in woodturning? :D

uh, grasshopper....i mean Bill

what is the meaning of turning wood? expression of joy

what does it mean when a curve more closely resembles a wall? parallel universes

are more tools the answer to attaining the ultimate state of zen in woodturning?
depends on the moment in time

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
uh, grasshopper....i mean Bill

what is the meaning of turning wood? expression of joy

You are a true wise man

what does it mean when a curve more closely resembles a wall? parallel universes

.... and, a philosopher

are more tools the answer to attaining the ultimate state of zen in woodturning?
depends on the moment in time

I'll take that as a "yes". :D (I've been hinting to Santa that a Vicmarc 120 is all that separates me from greatness. Even if that isn't the case, it would be nice to test that theory.

(I've been hinting to Santa that a Vicmarc 120 is all that separates me from greatness. Even if that isn't the case, it would be nice to test that theory.

Bill.......I hope all your Christmas wishes do come true! ;) I have a large chuck as well.......the HTC 125 Hurricane chuck.......it looks nearly identical to the Vicmarc 120, but there are some differences! It weighs in at over 9 lbs, and is very good quality chuck for a super price compared to the vicmarcs.

Do a google search.........check it out! I am really glad I got mine......it is that good!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thanks for the information, Roger. Unfortunately, it won't fit my current usage where I need jaws larger than 7 inch capacity for coring very large bowls and turning very large hollow forms. I will stick with the Vicmarc since they have jaws that will go over eight inches. The information may be useful for anybody needing a heavy duty chuck with less than seven inch jaw capacity. I have been using faceplates, but that means that a lot of wood is wassted due to screw length. However, sometimes there is no substitute for a heavy duty faceplate.

WoW cover photo - 12-20-2013

Saw that "Aspirations" got the nod for the cover photo on World of Woodturners website last evening....I am glad somebody thought it was a worthy piece.

Back