• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Axminister Eccentric Chuck

Does anyone have experience using this chuck? What is the best way to mount wood on this chuck? How it is used for doing spiral work?

Have you figured it out yet? I have one as well and admire it regulary. The instructions are confusing without pictures and it seems risky to use tape to secure wood that's turning off centre. Any comments would be much appreciated.

Website
www.docwks.com
Doreen,
I don't have the Axminister Eccentric Chuck, I do have an off center chuck made by one of our club members Danny Hoffman. Great tool, I did a demo at the Southern States symposium with it and did a jewelry bowl with a lid. The lid was done like Hans Weisfloggs with the inside of the lid, I cut rings (on center) and then put the lid on the bowl and secured it with blue masking tape and did the off center rings on the outside, so you could see through the lid. The tape held fine and I didn't have any problems(it also depends on the wood, some are too oily, this was "green" Bradford Pear). When doing demo's or training or off center work I very seldom get above 800 rpm's. I'm just saying you would be surprised how well it holds with a bit of common sense. If you turn like Jimmy Clewes, well then...tape won't do, ever.
Bill

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I do offcenter pendants on a homemade chuck. I screw a scrap piece of wood to that and then use double stick tape to hold the pendant blanks to the scrap wood. I have not seen the chuck you talk about so I can't help there.

Axminster Eccentric Chuck

I talked with Dick Sing at our last club meeting (he authored "Projects for the Mini-Lathe) which apparently has several projects that use this chuck. He said typically the project wood is glued to a waste block, the small face plate is removed from the eccentric portion of the chuck and then screwed to the waste block via the 3 holes. He noted that this is suitable for small projects but not ideal for larger pieces.

Back