• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Background of the Vari-Grind and Similar Jigs

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Jerry's jig is the first one I saw. I mounted on a the floor and basically worked like the wolverined only a lot bigger.

I have a friend from Roseburg Oregon, who was my mentor as well. He has a Sorby jig that he picked up in the UK when he was over there. It dates back to the 80's, but not sure how far back. Interesting to me was that the jig was on a bar so you could slide back and forth while pivoting. Made it easier to use the whole wheel.

robo hippy

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Thanks everyone, I know someone who once had one of the floor-mounted jigs and showed to me. I did not know whether Jerry's was the first of its kind.

Bill,
I use the Sorby ProEdge sharpening system and it does indeed have a short bar to hold the sharpenening jig. While similar to the Tormek system, the bar is much shorter than the Tormek’s. This is probably due to the use of a 2” grinding belt. Still it allows one to use the entire width of the belt.
Jon

Back