• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ball flip tops

Website
www.scrollsaws.com
I have seen pictures somewhere of a top that is like a round ball. Then on the top is a stem turned into the top of the ball. In theory I think when you spin the top it is suppose to flip over onto the stem and spin on the stem.
I have not been able to find any help in how these tops are made. Does anyone know of a web site that explains how this top is made?

Website
www.scrollsaws.com
Tops

Thanks John,
That is the one I was looking for. I did a search here but did not find the post, I had the wrong key words I guess.
But Thanks for pointing me onto the thread. Now to try making some.

Tippe top

Google tippe top. You may get hooked and will follow the threads for several hours. The history is wonderful,starting with a german patent in the late 19 century. Also wonderful tutorial on how to make them. I wish you good reading/viewing. I only found it after guessing my way through it. I really enjoyed the search and turning the tippe top.
Peter

Back