• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Beall buffing system

I put lacquer on a vase than sanded and buffed it with the beall buffing system . What do I need to do if I want to add more coats of lacquer over the carnauba wax ?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Whatever you use to dissolve the wax will also dissolve the lacquer so that option won't work. I also seriously doubt that you can get away with applying lacquer on top of the wax. I would be inclined to leave it alone unless the finish is really bad, in which case I would sand it to bare wood and start over.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
wipe it down with mineral spirits. That will remove the wax and then you can apply your finish. Oh yea let it dry really good. You may have to buff it with some paper towel after it dries from the mineral spirits and before you apply the next coat of finish.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
wipe it down with mineral spirits. That will remove the wax and then you can apply your finish. Oh yea let it dry really good. You may have to buff it with some paper towel after it dries from the mineral spirits and before you apply the next coat of finish.

From everything that I have read about carnauba wax, it is practically insoluble in anything. Those who make their own wax blends heat it to at least 180 degrees in a double boiler and then it will mix with naphtha or turpentine. Acetone and several other solvents can be used, but then you would have a paste wax that might damage solvent based finishes. Unfortunately, it isn't practical to heat the wax once it has been applied.

Back