• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bee hive for the Mrs.

I started this months ago but she mentioned that I needed to finish it. I took that as a direct order. We bought the bees and lady bugs in the doll house section of Hobby Lobby. The wood is cherry that was cut over a year ago. There is no finish on the wood. I took the hive off the chuck and drilled the hole with a Forstner bit, put i t back on the chuck and parted it off. I was afraid that the parting tool would catch in the hole but didn't. I colored the opening with a Sharpie. I tried to glue the critters on with CA glue but that didn't work. I drilled a shallow hole, 5/32 bit, in the critters, mixed some two part epoxy and inserted a short piece of toothpick in the hole. Then I drilled a hole in the hive....after asking where she wanted the critters. I put a drop of epoxy on the end of the toothpick, inserted the toothpick in the hole and held them in place with masking tape. Hope the photo turns out OK, taken with my Android phone.IMG_20180103_154912223.jpg

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
John the photo came out fine and so did the project. It’s really imaginative and I’ll bet the boss, I mean, Mrs. loves it. :)

Mark, you were right the first time. Thanks for the complements. Working on another one to take to our woodturning club. We have a "Take Home Box" that is about 5x5x5 inside. Each month someone gets their name drawn for the box. They get to keep what the previous winner made that is in the box and the recent winner is to turn something and bring it back to the next meeting. I have started but the weather has the shop a bit nippy inside. Should be able to work on it this weekend.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Very nice John. We also have what we call a bring back wood. The person who wins gets what ever was made from the last piece of wood and gets a new piece of wood from that person. Then they make something and bring it back along with another piece of wood. We have run into 2 problems neither one serious. One was that some people simply don't feel they can make an adequate piece or don't have the time. We simple let them decline and draw another number. The other problem is people bringing back really crappy wood. No problem here either. The person who wins can simply supply their own piece if they don't like the one given. We do have discussions and maybe a little joking when a really crappy piece is brought in. I once brought a tooth pick back and told them that was all I could get out of the wood.

Back