I started this months ago but she mentioned that I needed to finish it. I took that as a direct order. We bought the bees and lady bugs in the doll house section of Hobby Lobby. The wood is cherry that was cut over a year ago. There is no finish on the wood. I took the hive off the chuck and drilled the hole with a Forstner bit, put i t back on the chuck and parted it off. I was afraid that the parting tool would catch in the hole but didn't. I colored the opening with a Sharpie. I tried to glue the critters on with CA glue but that didn't work. I drilled a shallow hole, 5/32 bit, in the critters, mixed some two part epoxy and inserted a short piece of toothpick in the hole. Then I drilled a hole in the hive....after asking where she wanted the critters. I put a drop of epoxy on the end of the toothpick, inserted the toothpick in the hole and held them in place with masking tape. Hope the photo turns out OK, taken with my Android phone.