• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Beginners articles or questions

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
My brain must not be working. We have been talking about putting beginner articles in the journal which is all fine but they can be answered here so much better. Instead of one person answering your question you get maybe a dozen or more. We can include photos or even videos to try and answer your questions. You don't have to wait 2 months to get the answer.
An article in the Journal is kind of generic and may or may not answer your question. Why, because it's pretty obvious that we all don't write and understand exactly what we think. So you can re ask the question if the answer isn't clear. You can't do that in a magazine.
Now granted the question may not get answered by the top Guru's but there are some awfully sharp people who frequent this site and I'll bet you get a good answer.

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
John, I agree with everything you said. There can not only be answers to beginners questions posted here, they can come back after they've tried a process, tool or finish and have further questions.

That said, I can also see where having beginner questions printed in the Journal would be nice. Woodturning Design has "Ask Dale" where Dale Nish answers questions, most but not all are beginner and I've learned some neat stuff. You can keep a magazine or even one page where you can't keep the post to a forum. Yes, it's in the archives but............. well, "but" is enough.

I cut out the Q & A that I like, tape them wherever in my shop until I've either tried it or find I'm never going to need it. Yes, I've printed out responses on the forum, but I'm paying for the magazines, I enjoy sitting outside reading them and I do learn from beginner questions or articles while the birds feed and the cats stalk but don't touch.

Ruth

R

Ron Sardo

Good Idea John. The problem with beginners articles is that they need to be republished again every couple years. This isn't easy when a magazine is printed only 4 times a year.

Maybe a Beginners Forum/Section might be a good start. This way all articles can be viewed at any time depending on where the person's skill level is. I think Ed posted somewhere that there is a section online already.

Sure gotta be better than talking politics.

The problem with beginners articles is that they need to be republished again every couple years. This isn't easy when a magazine is printed only 4 times a year.

OTOH, we're all beginners the first time we take tool in hand to do something unfamiliar. Difference is some have more theoretical and experiential background to fall back on. If the article were written as "project" articles in other woodworking magazines are written, with accompanying "technique" articles or sidebars, might serve everyone well. Those who take "Woodsmith" magazine will recognize the mix.

Might even take some long lead time and solicit six people to produce a similar object and see what differences crop up. Whole magazine there.

Thing to avoid, as I see it, is the categoricals. No articles about "don't do this" or "must do this," just "here's how I did it, and why." Shed the pretense of artist statements whether political or merely third person and self-serving. For that matter, solicit someone besides the "famous names" who are peddling their gouge, book, or DVD. We can find them on the web and buy as we care. The guys who are still in the "gee whiz, I did it" stage are what I'd like to see.

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Yeah, I was a beginner the other day. I turned my first bolection molding, making a radius to match a profile provided by the customer. He gave me a sample piece of the straight molding, a template that matched the cutter, and the blanks. It was quite the challenge.

I think publishing beginner articles here has a lot of merit. The big downside is those who aren't on the web. I realize that number is dwindling daily, but it is there, and it ain't all old coots. That is not to say it shouldn't be done, just to say that there are more people in this world than on the web.

Website
www.velvitoil.com
I probably shouldn't say this but I doubt that I am the only one thinking it. I am tired of beginners whining about "no beginner projects" in our magazine. IMHO magazines such as the American Woodturner and Fine Woodworking should serve to inspire all of us and not spoon feed us. Exactly what is a beginner project? As Michael said each time we try something new we are beginners.

There is an abundance of information for the beginner not only on the Internet but also in books, other magazines, classes, clubs etc. If you look at the contents each month of the American Woodturner, there are basic projects and articles. If they are beyond the skill of a beginner it should serve to encourage rather than discourage. If it discourages a new turner, maybe that person should spend some time evaluating their motivation requirements.

Last edited:
R

Ron Sardo

Take a look at how this site has setup a beginners section (you need to register to read the discussions after each article)

http://www.howtoairbrush.com/airbrush-lessons-index.htm

I'm not saying we should copy it, but to use the idea as inspiration.

For that matter, solicit someone besides the "famous names" who are peddling their gouge, book, or DVD. We can find them on the web and buy as we care. The guys who are still in the "gee whiz, I did it" stage are what I'd like to see.

George, I agree with everything else you have said, but I think the "famous names" may be the best type of people to enlist.

These folks have taught many people and have a good handle on what beginners need. Of course the article should not end in "For more information on how to do this buy my book at..."

Until a couple hours ago, I was all in favor of the direction this thread was headed, even with repeating articles every few years. But now I'm not so sure.

At what point does a "beginner" start? Lathe selection? How to hold basic tools for simple objectives? And things like that? Those things are better learned from books and hands-on experience. Local chapters provide the personal guidance, and the Resource Directory comes with membership. I think a "beginners" section in American Woodturner could include a list of books that various folks have found useful, updated as available. One of the best on my bookshelf is "Lathes and Turning Techniques - The Best of Fine Woodworking" - ISBN: 1-56158-021-X.

From that point of departure, specific projects can proceed pretty much as they currently do, both simple and complex. I expect, and hope, to be in the "gee whiz, I did it" stage for a long time. I've placed a few WIP series on another forum, but haven't had the time to reassemble into an article. For example, the link at this URL: http://www.aawforum.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4846 is very descriptive. Unfortunately, the linked site no longer allows viewing pictures by visitors. Same thing happens with Google ["birdhouse earrings procedure"]. They're both kinda big for this forum, unfortunately, and I don't claim to be using valid processes anyway.

Pretty much what you said, Barbara.

Joe

I take exception to what Barbara has said. I/we beginners pay the same amount for our membership (general membership) as anyone else does and as such reserve the right (speaking for myself) to ask for articles in the journal that are focused on our/my abilities. If you want to classify that as whinning, maybe you ought to step back and look at the request again. Michael's suggestions are right on target in my opinion and should be seriously investigated by the AAW Board for implementation. After all, new members to AAW are most likely to be newbies.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Beginner articles do not only have to be in American Woodturner...

When a beginner asks me what a good source of basic how-to articles is for woodturning, my first thought is NOT American Woodturner, but, rather, Woodturning Design. WD is not the journal of the AAW, (which, by definition, has to include society-related articles and informational pieces on the organization) which constrain publishing/page space to some degree, and WD has a bit more latitude to publish articles with step-by-step instructions (even almost to the ad absurdum level), and include a greater number of step-by-step photos. It's clear that although there have been a few articles in WD directed toward the accomplished or advanced turner, the majority (....at least as it seems to me) are directed at the beginner. Even Gulley's "light along the path" articles that appear in every issue are clearly directed toward the beginner, and that David Reed Smith's articles are also (in my perception) also directed toward beginning turners. I wonder if others agree with this? I have toyed with the idea of dropping my subscription to WD because it is so basic, but have resisted because once in a while there is an interesting article on an artist, or on a more advanced technique.

Personally, my opinion is that AW should include a balance of 'advanced' and 'beginner' articles (assuming there are people willing to write them), something on the "art", "science", and professional activities of woodturning, as well as maintain its role as a communication vehicle about the AAW and its activities. I think Carl Voss does a great job putting this publication together, and I would hate to see a significant infusion of beginner's articles into AW when there are other publications that already fill this niche.

Other thoughts?

Rob Wallace

Rob, I just looked at your turning website, very impressive. So, I have to conclude you aren't a beginner and its understandable your feelings concerning beginner articles in AAW's Journal. One could conclude from your post that you would prefer/direct beginners to subscribe to WD for articles of interest while accomplished turners should concentrate/cultivate there interests with AAW's Journal. You are probably right, can't really disagree, if I understand what you are saying. However, remember that the Newbie member of AAW is probably just that, a Newbie.

2 cents from a lurker

Interesting conversation thread. I compliment you all on your commitment to beginners. Here's my 2 cents....what Rob Wallace says resonates with me the most. I received a subscription to Woodturning Design as a gift but I regularly pickup AW, too. I'm not a beginner but I'm still building my skills so WD is my choice of the 2 publications for how-to or technique discussions.

AW is my source of form and design inspiration; I don't pickup back issues of AW looking for how-tos and techniques.

Case in point: I'm looking at doing some pyrography with my turnings so I pulled WD to re-read an article by Molly Winton. I'm also coloring some pieces. My first choice was to take a class with Jimmy Clewes where I learned some coloring techniques. I've tried them at home. Now, I want to do it better so I turn to my AW back issues (and AW galleries) to see what others have done to guide my artistic eye.

However, I wouldn't be upset if AW did some catering to newbies. I forget skills all the time and articles may be a good tune-up for me.

However, I wouldn't be upset if AW did some catering to newbies. I forget skills all the time and articles may be a good tune-up for me.

Don't think of it as "catering to newbies." Think of it as a review of skills which have become such habit to you and famous-names that you forgot why you were doing them, or assumed (which, as we know is risky) that everybody else does what you do.

The best teacher is a learner, not necessarily a doer. Interpretation is superior to imitation when it comes to knowledge-building.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Articles on turning skill development are desirable....

Rob, I just looked at your turning website, very impressive. So, I have to conclude you aren't a beginner and its understandable your feelings concerning beginner articles in AAW's Journal.

You are correct - I have been turning for over 14 years, and for the past few have been selling my work at several local galleries. I guess I am not a beginner, but I do teach beginners through our turning group, so I am familiar with the needs of intermediate and advanced turners, as well as those just staring out. I also do several public demonstrations each year, and explain the very basics to complete newcomers who express an interest in turning. Knowing what questions beginners ask, and being a teacher (both in my 'day job' and as a turning instructor) gives me a pretty good perspective about the learning needs of beginners and interests of more advanced turners...

One could conclude from your post that you would prefer/direct beginners to subscribe to WD for articles of interest while accomplished turners should concentrate/cultivate there interests with AAW's Journal. You are probably right, can't really disagree, if I understand what you are saying. However, remember that the Newbie member of AAW is probably just that, a Newbie.

If you read closely, I said I would like to see a balance between articles for beginners and those targeted for more advanced/professional turners to appear in AW. If you compare turning publications, the "beginner article density" is probably highest in WD, and thus it would be the publication of choice to recommend to beginners. That does not mean that I disapprove of beginners articles in AW, nor does it necessarily mean that beginners should not look at AW. I guess my point is that I would like to see a few beginners articles in AW occasionally (see below), but not to the level where it dilutes the other necessary unique functions of the AAW's journal.

Were I the editor of AW, I would be soliciting beginners articles that focus on turning skill development as the major focus of the articles. These would be useful to EVERYONE, beginner or advanced turner alike. In general, the articles in WD are what I call "project-based" and are fine to get beginners accomplishing things at the lathe. In contrast, I would like to see articles published in AW which emphasize not just HOW to use tools and techniques, but also WHY these specific tools and techniques are used. Probably because I'm trained as a scientist, it is important to me to understand the 'why' and the reasons behind using the tool in a certain way (I suppose that's why I developed a demonstration on "The Geometry of Woodturning") - I'm a big fan of Mike Darlow and his books, since he is, perhaps, one of the best 'explainers' of the "why" of woodturning techniques. I recommend his books to beginners with a "technical" background or interest in the "why" aspects.

I consider a well-written skill development article as one that can be photocopied, handed out, and used in a beginners class on a particular tool or technique (...that's the college professor in me coming out...) - This is not unlike some previous articles written by Alan Lacer, Mike Darlow, and some others. Unfortunately, articles such as this are not very common.

One consideration about beginners articles about turning techniques is that writing such articles is difficult, particularly when it is easier (...and maybe even better?) to SHOW how the technique is done with a video instead of using printed words. I also agree with John Lucas that it might be easier and more efficient to discuss techniques, etc. interactively on forums such as this, than it would be to write and publish an article in a major journal.

Interesting thread.....

Rob Wallace

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
....... One could conclude from your post that you would prefer/direct beginners to subscribe to WD for articles of interest while accomplished turners should concentrate/cultivate there interests with AAW's Journal. ........ However, remember that the Newbie member of AAW is probably just that, a Newbie.

How "newbie" are you? Exactly what beginner things are you looking for?

You haven't asked for a specific "beginner" article and I'm a bit confused as to what you think should be included for Newbies. Have you ever worked with wood before?

I'm asking this because I've been turning for 18 yrs., I just decided to get a burner and am a Newbie, looking for beginner articles. I did spindle turning for 8 years before I had a desire to turn a bowl, when I got my first bowl gouge, it purely intimidated me!

Perhaps there should just be a "Beginner" magazine? Maybe that's the answer because once you learn how to do whatever it is you want to do, you will move away from those beginner articles and new beginners will be interested so maybe the beginner magazine is a good idea. Or not, it would have to publish the same articles over and over and over and over.

I pay the same AAW membership dues, I'm a spindle turner by trade, there are very, very few articles on spindle turning, that's fine. I choose to be a member, I can go to the library or Barnes & Noble and get good books on spindle design. I learned beginner turning out of Richard Raffan's first 2 books, still have them, still reference them from time to time.

Barbara Gill had a good point, to really paraphrase; if you want to do something and have the initiative, find the information you need from a lot of places, don't look for it in one place.

Are you talking down to me Ruth??:confused: Sorry you are so offended by this thread and feel it necessary to speak to me in this manner.:confused: I like others see a need; I/we shell out the same amount for membership as do you. What's the matter with asking for certain articles to be included in OUR AAW JOURNAL? Maybe one day I might arrive to the turning status you have achieved, but I certainly don't need to be discouraged by you or anyone else for that matter.
If you look carefully throughout this thread, you'll see I have agreed with Rob and his suggestions for finding a solution. I don't what to offend you Ruth, but lighten up a little.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I agree. It's up to us to discuss this without getting uptight about it. The editors need to see both sides from a straight forward view point and then decide what, if anything can be done about it. It doesn't do anyone any good to get tee'd off about the subject because then we get into name calling and defending our stance and that just runs people off. We need to agree, to disagree on things because that's the nature of woodturning. You use one finish and I use another and can both give a million reasons why so there isn't any reason to get nasty over it. Just agree to disagree and get back to talking about wood.
I've always been interested in the "high road" type magazines and have been a long time subscriber to Fine Woodworking. I personally would love to see a turning magazine in this vain. Turning Points as put out by the Woodturning Center is sort of this way but almost too far over the top. EVen though I subscribe to almost all the woodworking magazines I don't really "read" the ones that cover beginner topics.
American Woodturner as a Journal for the AAW fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at, has to do both. We don't want to lose the advanced turners, and we don't want to lose the beginners but at the same time have to please both. All we as readers or members of AAW can do is express our opinions and let the editors know and hopefully they will try to fill a very difficult role of making the magazine appeal to us all.

Yeah, I was a beginner the other day. I turned my first bolection molding, making a radius to match a profile provided by the customer. He gave me a sample piece of the straight molding, a template that matched the cutter, and the blanks. It was quite the challenge.

:DBill...you shoud'a gave me a holler. Got a video that tells about turning a bolection molding and how to do it in only 5 chuckings!!!!:confused:

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com

:DBill...you shoud'a gave me a holler. Got a video that tells about turning a bolection molding and how to do it in only 5 chuckings!!!!:confused:

Five chuckings!?! :eek: The first one I did I moved the screws around a couple of times to make sure I wasn't going to hit them, but once I figured out where everything went, I screwed the second one to the plywood waste block once, and that was that!

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Are you talking down to me Ruth?? Sorry you are so offended by this thread and feel it necessary to speak to me in this manner. I like others see a need; I/we shell out the same amount for membership as do you. What's the matter with asking for certain articles to be included in OUR AAW JOURNAL? Maybe one day I might arrive to the turning status you have achieved, but I certainly don't need to be discouraged by you or anyone else for that matter.
If you look carefully throughout this thread, you'll see I have agreed with Rob and his suggestions for finding a solution. I don't what to offend you Ruth, but lighten up a little.

I was in no way talking down to you nor "getting uptight" and would not think of discouraging anyone! I was seriously asking questions regarding how newbie you are and what you are looking for in beginner articles. Knowing this info would help all of us direct you to articles in magazines or on the internet. If that's talking down to you, I sincerely apologize for asking for more info. :eek:

I have no "turning status", 18 yrs. standing at a lathe means nothing as far as status or all around ability. I'm a "NEWBIE" at any enhancements, turning square (never did it), pepper mills (never turned one)........my point is I totally understand how you feel.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking the AAW to include certain articles, I've done it myself. I also never said you were wrong to ask. A magazine geared for beginners of any and all aspects of turning, does not seem like a bad idea to me, either. Even after turning a lot of years, I would need and like to see beginner articles for myself. I feel like a total clutz with any artistic turning, I'm just starting to do hollow forms and they aren't very pretty. I AGREE with you, honest. :)

Maybe it's the heat and humidity but it's not fair to assume the negative first without asking "what did you mean" rather than "I resent what you said." :confused: Sorry, John Lucas, guess you read me wrong, too.......... maybe it's me..........nah, everyone jumped all over Ed Moore so guess it's my turn. :D

Ruth Niles

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Sorry Ruth Wasn't meaning to jump on anyone. I know you mean well and have always been helpful to other turners. I think there's just been so much negativity lately that we all sort of read the worst things into the sentences. I will try to assume the best of people from now on.

Website
maubow.weebly.com
2 cents from another lurker

I think beginner/newbie articles would/could help anyone that reads it. I've only been turning for about 1.5 years, but I learn something everytime I read anything about turning. Many times its just a reminder of something I forgot that helps me overcome an obstacle I've encountered.

An ongoing series with editor notes stating the previous articles are available on the AAW website would help alot and then we could all read them again and again at work!! Come on you know you all would!:D

Website
www.velvitoil.com
Sorry Ruth Wasn't meaning to jump on anyone. I know you mean well and have always been helpful to other turners. I think there's just been so much negativity lately that we all sort of read the worst things into the sentences. I will try to assume the best of people from now on.

You are right John, there does seem to be a lot of negativity. I was just thinking back on the last year or so. The threads that seem to get the most attention are the ones that include complaints: the Journal is late, the Journal is damaged, there is too much art, there is not enough basic information, there should be censorship, there should not be censorship, etc. Of course discussion is good to a point but what happens is some people get offended and pretty soon it turns into an argument and name calling. Ruth's post is a good example. She asked some pointed questions that would direct the conversation to what is "beginner" material. The next thing you know rather than just answering the questions Garmer is taking offense. Ruth is probably one of the kindest people I know.

Questions usually indicate a request for further information in order to be able to continue discussion.

Website
www.velvitoil.com
Proposed Sticky: Author's Guidelines
http://www.woodturner.org/products/aw/guidelines.cfm

I'd glimpsed this link in one of the recent posts, and promptly forgot where it was. Took eons to find it again. With all the sturm und drang about beginners articles, it might be good to have the author's guidelines easier to find, within the forum.

Joe

Good Link. I tried to get "sturm und drang" translated but the answer (storm and penetrated) didn't make much sense. What does it mean Joe?:)

ruth i'm a newbie to turning. 2 years going on 100 useable bowls later many other projects completed. over 20 years on and off as woodworker. i turn in the green no great claims to fame. i'm a pro at using a chain saw many people ask same questios over and over about sharpening or using saw dosen't bother me abit thats part of being a pro. turning has become a passion for me lately. just ordered some new tools for hollowing can't wait to get turning' trial and error love it builds character. like to see more comments from begginers i have rikon 70-100 12" swing lathe i'm happy with it dose the job. i've got some ugly bowls and candlesticks but they sell go figure. 5 yrs down the road who nose i"ll call myself a begginer

I feel this is a very valid discussion where everyone should feel free to make suggestions and voice their opinions without anyone (ANYONE) taking offense. If we are trying to improve the forum, the website, the Journal, then let's do it.

My suggestion would be that maybe having a "Beginner's Section" on the AAW Website would be more appropriate and would be available when needed to many more people than would the AAW Journal. This Section could possibly include very, very basic items concerning tools, lathes, safety, sharpening, burning, texturing, shops, books, etc. As has been stated, everyone's idea of a "newby" is different. So, someone who knows website organization could codify different articles into groups to help those who search for specific items. Would it not be more efficient, i.e., less expensive than putting several hundred articles in the Journal? Just a guess!

I just last week purchased an iron to practice burning. Have not even plugged it in yet, and though I have soldered thousands of electronic parts, I am the epitome of a "newby" as concerns woodburning. The same term applies to me when discussing any form of embellishment for wood. That is why I spend quite a bit of time on forums and at the library searching for articles to get me started.

Thanks for starting this thread and I'd like to know what everyone else thinks, so keep it up! We'll only get better!

don't have to offend anyone i thought we were all proffesionals . i'm just begging to understand how a new family "turners" can get along. don't be afraid to ask a question there are no stupid questions. begginers or not where here to advance forward and to bring the less experianced up to a level of better understanding.

Last edited:
Good Link. I tried to get "sturm und drang" translated but the answer (storm and penetrated) didn't make much sense. What does it mean Joe?:)

Idioms don't seem to translate very well as independent words. I'd always thought it meant something like "thunder and lightning" (Oops. That's Donder und Blitzen), but our friend wikipedia says otherwise: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturm_und_Drang - "Storm and stress." Serves me right; I really should look this stuff up before using it. And the phrase is in my English paper dictionary too.:eek:

Joe

From a recovering newbie

I guess I don't understand the logic of that. Here folks are advocating that clubs require AAW membership, and one of the primary benefits for the beginner is a magazine that, self-confessedly, isn't intended for them until they have a few years under their belt. And always arrives after the stores get theirs. Of course, the AAW could offer 'non-subscribing' memberships.

Fine Woodworking isn't just an inspirational magazine. They put plenty of print into ideas, jigs, and projects. For all that the advocate the use of hand tools, they support improvement of the craft at all levels. And they come out 6 times a year. I wish that the AAW would spend a wee bit less on production and put it into larger, more frequesnt issues.

I simply think (as someone who only recently got over being a newbie) that a mix is appropriate. And there is no skill that I have that couldn't be improved considerably. Oddly enough, it isn't my design skills that are weak, but my ability to execute. Perhaps uninspiring articles could be labelled 'for noviices only.'

Marc

I probably shouldn't say this but I doubt that I am the only one thinking it. I am tired of beginners whining about "no beginner projects" in our magazine. IMHO magazines such as the American Woodturner and Fine Woodworking should serve to inspire all of us and not spoon feed us. Exactly what is a beginner project? As Michael said each time we try something new we are beginners.

There is an abundance of information for the beginner not only on the Internet but also in books, other magazines, classes, clubs etc. If you look at the contents each month of the American Woodturner, there are basic projects and articles. If they are beyond the skill of a beginner it should serve to encourage rather than discourage. If it discourages a new turner, maybe that person should spend some time evaluating their motivation requirements.

Right on.

This is a pretty good idea. I still need to convince you that it is possible to write an article on taking a gouge through the trip from edge to center, but right now this minute I could use some help finding the best way to make that same gouge turn a large, ornery burl bowl blank - outside or inside.

My brain must not be working. We have been talking about putting beginner articles in the journal which is all fine but they can be answered here so much better. Instead of one person answering your question you get maybe a dozen or more. We can include photos or even videos to try and answer your questions. You don't have to wait 2 months to get the answer.
An article in the Journal is kind of generic and may or may not answer your question. Why, because it's pretty obvious that we all don't write and understand exactly what we think. So you can re ask the question if the answer isn't clear. You can't do that in a magazine.
Now granted the question may not get answered by the top Guru's but there are some awfully sharp people who frequent this site and I'll bet you get a good answer.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Marc I'm turning a small oinery piece today. It's a nearly rotten piece of Locust. I started to throw it out but then realized it had some nice character, was small and wouldn't take a whole lot of time to turn. Wrong on that one. The cracks were worse than I though and I wanted to turn it thin so I had to fill some of them. There was a rotten limb in it so I will be leaving the big hole in the side where that was.
To keep the tearout down I had to coat parts of it with thinned lacquer and some really bad areas with thin CA glue. Then I resharpened my 1/2" Taylor gouge that I ground in a Stewart Batty 40 degree grind and took off another .010" or so. That took care of 90 percent of the tearout so I did the same thing again and then started sanding at 180 grit.
Now I'm hollowing the inside. I hollowed the first inch or so last night. I'm going to check it when I get home and decide if it needs to be thinner. It's about 1/8" now. I'm trying a new Hunter tool that is really nice. It's not the best tool for hollowing this type of vessel but I had to use it, it's a new toy. I'm using mostly homemade hollowing tools for this project.

I'll try that.

I hadn't considered soaking in lacquer, since this piece is pretty solid, but it might help with tearout so I'll give it a try. I'm using the big Ellsworth gouge and to lesser Sorby;s all ground to the Ellsworth profile. Usually thay can eat anything including ebony, but this has gotten them beat. I don't remember the name of the wood (it's at home) but it's scary heavy.

Marc

Marc I'm turning a small oinery piece today.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Marc I forgot to answer your other questions. Sorry. The simpler projects in the Journal can easily be done by a beginner, even one with little experience. It just takes more patience than someone with more skill. The biggest problem I see that beginners have is tool control and that only comes with practice. It't the kind of thing that's hard to put in works, hands on preferably with a skilled turner standing by is the best way. I do realize that a step by step photo guide would be a good way to do these articles but that takes more space and more money. Also there are 10 tools and probably a dozen ways to turn a cove. In an article you can really only show 1 way. I know Woodturning Design does it and so does Woodturning but they don't have to do all of the different article American Woodturner does. It's kind of one of those catch22 things. If you do really long detailed articles for one group you alienate another. If you do nothing but high end articles then you alienate another. I'm glad I only do the tips pages and don't have to make those decisions.
The AAW is looking at doing 6 issues. One problem you face is getting the articles. This is reader written for the most part so that means a bunch more volunteers to write articles.
As far as the magazine getting to the shelves before we get it. That happens for every magazine I get. It's always been frustrating because I can thumb through Fine Woodworking or Wood magazine before I even get it. It has something to do with how they mail the magazines and apparenlty there isn't anything that can be done about it because that's been a complaint ever since I started getting woodworking magazines.

Seems to me there are plenty of beginner articles (and room for many more) in the members only area.

I just downloaded a great set of articles on sharpening! If sharpening ain't at the beginning I must be doing something wrong.

I honestly think there is a good mix of beginner articles and stuff way over my head in the journal. I actually feel most the how to articles are for the beginner, its the photo galleries that only show advanced stuff!

I would love to see a list of all the articles that have been published in the last 5 years. I'll bet a third are for the beginner.

This is a re-print, from another thread:

Here's an excerpt from the AW page:

"The AAW has long been blessed with talented and loyal members who submit articles and photos for publication in the journal. We are now able to pay members $100 per published page for how-to and techniques articles. Submissions to American Woodturner are encouraged. Please contact the editor with articles or proposals."

Aspiring authors...dial in here to get some info on how it's done: http://www.woodturner.org/products/aw/guidelines.cfm

All of these past AW articles are available online to AAW members, and are generally intended for novice and beginners:

A Mace for Graduation Cooper, Gerald Summer 2002
An Amazing Finish Haskell, Bill Winter 2002
Automotive Gizmo Makes Low-cost Chuck Cohen, Andy Winter 2000
Building & Growing an AAW Chapter Hill, John Winter 2003
Determining Bowl Thickness Harper, Abe Summer 1996
Evaluating Wood Art Wallace, Kevin Winter 2002
Feel-Good Stocking Stuffers Hartmann-Hurt, Rus Winter 1995
Finding Your Own Voice Zeff, Gary A. Fall 2003
Finishing Secrets Fairfield, Russ Fall 1998
First Newsletter Newsletter (Original) June 1986
Five Ways to Avoid a Catch Jamieson, Lyle Spring 1996
Gallery Game Brennion, Phil Fall 2006
Inexpensive Air Filter Rosand, Robert Fall 1997
Introduction to Chucking Smith, Peter M. Summer 1995
Learn to Shapen Progressively Lacer, Alan Fall 2003
Learn to Shapen Progressively, pt2 Lacer, Alan Winter 2003
Mission Accomplished Rinde, Jim Fall 2005
Natural Edges Johnston, Bill Fall 1994
Plagerism, Copying, & Influences Vesery, Jacques Fall 2005
Play Ball Roberts, Gary Spring 2005
Pleasing Profiles Nittmann, David Fall 2006
Point-to-Point Hoover, Bruce Fall 2000
Raw Beauty from a Basic 2 x 4 Ramsey, Dave Summer 2003
Shaping and Sharpening Ellsworth, David Spring 2001
Side-Ground Gouges Jordan, John Spring 1994
Side-Grounded Pratt, Phil Spring 1997
Skewing a Bead Hatfield, George Winter 1996
Smoking Pots Brennion, Phil Spring 2000
Spalted Maple Vessel Hasiak, Larry Winter 1998
Speed Zone Lacer, Alan Spring 2004
Techniques for Carving Heiple, King Spring 2001
Texas Big Bug Tolly, Johnny Spring 2000
The Art of Crtique Christiansen, Jim Spring 2004
The Cutting Process Hatfield, George Summer 1999
Tuning Up Your Lathe Stubbs, Del Spring 1995
Turned Relief Brown, Andrew Summer 2006
Turned Wood Now Nelson, Russ Spring 1998
Turning Collection Plates Jones, Wes Fall 2002
Turnings of the Erzgebirge Lacer, Alan Spring 1999
Two-Bit Project Cook, Nick Fall 2005
Wine-Bottle Stoppers Cook, Nick Winter 1996
Wood as Canvas Zeff, Gary A. Summer 1994

It can be done.

I was thinking you could just dive deep on one form, say a simple, rounded bowl. And a single tools - say a 1/2 inch Ellsworth grind. Follow the rough and finish cuts through. Maybe one or two alternatives.

Then article two takes a shape variation or two and talks about what to do to accomodate them. You might discuss a grind variation.

Then an article on bowl gouge grinds in general. Now you've got a guy who has a couple of basic forms to work with and a clearer knowledge of a particular tool. It may take him months to absorb it all, but heck, it's months between issues, anyway.

Marc I forgot to answer your other questions.

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Barry wrote: ....... "My suggestion would be that maybe having a "Beginner's Section" on the AAW Website would be more appropriate and would be available when needed to many more people than would the AAW Journal. This Section could possibly include very, very basic items concerning tools, lathes, safety, sharpening, burning, texturing, shops, books, etc....... Would it not be more efficient, i.e., less expensive than putting several hundred articles in the Journal? Just a guess!"
Barry, that is a great idea. My personal "newbie" status would be made a lot easier with some basic burning techniques and tools. I can only keep magazines so long and they have to be tossed, but having all the info here would be like having a personal magazine rack on my computer. :)

Ruth

Back