• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Beginners Questions

Hi, I just got a Jet Mini Lathe and have a couple of questions about tools and the lathe.

I know I want the tool rest close to the stock, but how close? How high up on the stock do I want the rest.

At what angle do I want the tool to contact the stock? In other words, If I'm using a 3/4" roughing gouge with a 45 deg bevel, at what angle do I hold the tool.

Which tool is used to smooth the surface?

Finally, what is the best way to turn bowls with this lathe, a new chuck or screwing the blank to the face plate?

I appreciate any comments.

Thanks, Mike

Website
www.timbertreasurestwo.com
I have my toolrest about 1/8" to 1/4" away from the stock and at a height where the center of the tool is right on center--except when I'm using a skew I have it higher.

Rub the heel of the bevel on the wood and raise the handle until the tool starts to remove wood--that's a good place to start. You can make minor adjustments after that. Remember, scraping dulls the tool almost immediately while shear cutting with the bevel riding lasts quite awhile longer. You cannot turn well with dull tools!!

Depends on how smooth you want the surface and if you are doing faceplate or spindle work. You can get a smooth surface with almost any tool as long as you cut in the right direction, the tool is sharp, and you don't try to hog off too much material.

I like to use a chuck now, but I used screws and a faceplate for years with good results--I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend on tooling. A chuck does make things a lot easier and you can do more things with it but it isn't NECESSARY to turn well.

Regards,

Joe

Beginner's questions

Mike: You probably would benefit from getting the book and VHS tape by Kieth Rowley, an english turner, WOODTURNING - A FOUNDATION COURSE (published by the Guild of Master Craftsman Publications). This book and tape are available from most wood turning catalogues and are excellent.

Good luck.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael Colip said:
Finally, what is the best way to turn bowls with this lathe, a new chuck or screwing the blank to the face plate?

Because I have several faceplates (a wonderful garage sale purchase) I like to screw rough bowl blanks to the plates then turn the outside and foot of bowls 10 at a time before moving to the chuck. I find the screwed plate has a much better hold on wildly irregular pieces of wood, but the chuck makes turning a balanced blank much easier.

Mike,

With all due respect to contributors here and "published" turners, in my view a beginning turner should, before anything else, get some in-person hands-on lessons in the basics. Books and videos are great to help build skills, but I would not use them to start.

If nothing else, find a Woodcraft store near you (Appleton, Madison, Milwaukee); they all have group lesson schedules, and some act as sources for outside instructors.

There are also 5 AAW Chapters in your state where you can link up with teaching members for some one-on-one instruction.

Welcome to The Addiction

Mark Mandell

I totally agree with Mark... I got my Jet 1236 and read and read and read all the books I could get my hands on... tried what they said and scared myself almost to death with the catches I was getting....
Then I went to my first club meeting and after the meeting they were showing members how to turn a birdhouse ornament... I told them about my problems and in no time I was getting one on one lessons and came home with a cute little birdhouse that I managed not to destroy in the making..
I am by no means an expert turner and have only been doing it for about 8 months.. but belonging to the 2 clubs that I do has done wonders for my confidence and abilities...
I have even gotten to the point where I can help some beginners with the basics, especially pen turning lessons, which I find to really build their confidence level...
Read the books, watch the videos.. they give you a mental foundation... BUT TAKE LESSONS... they give you hands on foundation...

Thanks for all the replies, let me clarify the smoothing question:

I'm turning a mallet. I noticed that when turning the handle (about 10" long) that not only was it not a very consistant thickness but that it had a lot of tool marks that called for a ton of sanding. Is there a tool(s) that would help smooth all of this out, or, is it technique?

I would think that a wide chisel-like tool would help as it has more surface area hitting the stock at any given moment.

Thanks, Mike

I don't think it is an either/or sitz. The book Foundations by Rowley is the best basic text and there are several good videos. However, a lesson, with a GOOD teacher, is worth more than I can say. The combo of the two would reenforce the principles and practice.
Make sure you spend time learning how to sharpen....it makes everything else so much easier. The video available through AAW is one of the best investments I have made. My biggest mistake in development was not learning how to sharpen exceptionally well. Now that I am better and more comfortable, I do not hesitate to go to the grinder, and therefore I turn better.
Most of all, have fun.
David Galloway
GAW

Hi Mike,

Definitely go for the local turning clubs and get some hands on coaching. The mallet, as you describe it, indicates (to my reading) that you are getting alternating cutting and scraping and that you are not riding the bevel consistantly. This is pretty standard at the start, as I think we all use our tools as scrapers for a while before learing how to cut consistantly. About an hour of coaching and a whole new world opens up. Used nothing but scrapers for almost 2 years. Now I rarely use one at all except for internal cleanup on vases and bowls and the occasional accent.

IMHO,
Dietrich

Website
www.hiltonhandcraft.com
Michael Colip said:
Thanks for all the replies, let me clarify the smoothing question:

I'm turning a mallet. I noticed that when turning the handle (about 10" long) that not only was it not a very consistant thickness but that it had a lot of tool marks that called for a ton of sanding. Is there a tool(s) that would help smooth all of this out, or, is it technique?

I would think that a wide chisel-like tool would help as it has more surface area hitting the stock at any given moment.

Thanks, Mike

A 10" long handle ??? How long is the entire mallet going to be? :eek: And what poor chisel is going to get the abuse from that thing? :D

In a word, it's your technique. However, wider tools that will still give you the curves and shapes you need in a section will certainly make it easier to get a smoother surface if you can control that bigger tool in the first place. A smaller tool requires a bit faster movement over the wood and/or more rpm to give a smoother cut given the same technique from the operator.

Of course, there's a downside to a wider tool contacting the wood too. You're going to be taking wider cuts (or scrapes as the case may be) and it can be kinda tough to keep it under control. There's no free lunch.

You'll develop your technique as you go along and you'll get smoother cuts regardless of the tool. Hands-on help or tutoring is invaluable for technique. Video's can be somewhat helpful and books are pretty useless in the area of tool control and technique.

Website
www.timbertreasurestwo.com
Good advice was given in regards to getting some hands on instruction with a good turner. I turned for a couple of years and was getting by. Then I took a class with Dale nish and advanced my skills a hundredfold in just that one week. The best class I ever had up to that point.

Join a club and I know there will be someone there that will be willing to mentor you and help you get on the right track. Reading books and watching videos are helpful to a point, but the hands-on instruction will help you learn things so much faster.

Joe

Back