• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Beginning wood turning classes

My wife of 35 years surprised me the other day by telling me she wanted to learn wood turning!! She has a birthday coming up the end of the month and I thought signing her up for a class would be a great gift :) I am having real trouble finding a beginning wood turning class in the Lexington, Kentucky area! Can anyone tell me of classes they know about? Any suggestions where to check? Thanks for your input!

Hi Joe

The Woodcraft in Louisvile has woodturning classes. There is a bowl class this Saturday, an intro class Saturday the 14th and a spindle class Sunday the 22nd.

Consider contacting the Louisville Area Woodturners about where classes can be had:

Buddy Riley
7504 Templeton Dr
Louisville, KY 40214
502-935-0123
driley3@insightbb.com

Good Luck

Richard

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
KyJoe
There are probably some good turners around Berea Ky who may be willing to teach. I would also suggest taking a course At one of 3 places besides the woodcraft store mentioned. Arrowmont in Gatlinburg. www.arrowmont.com
John C Campbell Folk school in NC. www.folkschool.com or Appalachian Center for Crafts in Smithville, Tn. www.tntech.edu/craftcenter
There is also a large excellent club in Cincinnati. If you happen to be near Cookeville, Tn. stop in and we'll turn a little and I'll try to help.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Thanks Gary. That's what happens when your brain isn't totally engaged. Wait a minute! it's never been totally engaged. I'll have to think up another excues. John

Website
www.vinceswoodnwonders.com
Turning

Hi Joe,

Feel free to reach out to me and I will get you started with some lessons and explain what I have done/purchased and why. I have a Jet Mini and a Oneway 1640 we can use. I live in Louisville. Perhaps you can come down on a night the club is having a meeting. Or come during the State Fair and enjoys 2 things the same day. Our club will have a booth and be doing some turning at the fair in the eves like 6-8or 9 most every evening of the fair. I will be there turning Saturday Aug 28th. You can email me at Woodnwonders@excite.com. VWNW

Back