• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bench grinder advise

I'm looking into upgrading from my 6 inch to a Porter Cable 8 inch variable speed bench grinder. Does anyone have experience with the Porter Cable? I know they have a good reputation for hand tools.

8 inch PC Grinder

The only thing to watch for in this grinder is the mounting tabs that you use to bolt the grinder to a table tend to extend out close to the plane of the wheels. This is not an issue for free hand grinding, but I found it to be difficult to mount a wolverine system in it's proper location. I returned the grinder and bought a 8" slow speed unit from Craft Supply.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Ron stated exactly what I noticed about the Delta 8" grinder. I was looking at it last night at Lowes and wondered if there was enough room to fit the Oneway sharpening system. It didn't look like it.

I have the Delta 8" grinder, the two speed, it was on sale at Lowe's a year ago or so.
I have the wolverine bases installed and they work just fine.
I'm not in love with the grinder for a number of other reasons, it's noisy for one thing, and I don't like the "no tools required" tightening nuts, I think they contribute to balancing problems, so I switched to regular nuts, but the Wolverine bases will work with it no problem.
Oh, and the attached light is on too short of a stalk to adjust to an ideal position.
You get what you pay for, as usual.

6" vs 8" grinder advice

Dear Fellow woodturners:

If you took two identical tools and sharpened one on a 6" wheel and the other on an 8" wheel at identical angles, due to the different radii of the wheels, the hollow grinds produced are different. As a result, the point where the bevel meets the cutting edge will be more accute on the tool ground on the 6" wheel. The problems with this are:
1) because it is more accute on the tool sharpened on a 6" wheel
2) the edge will wear more quickly
3) the tool will be more aggresive
4) it will vibrate more on the wood.

While neither speed will ruin the temper of high speed steel tools, I recommend a grinder speed of 1800 RPM instead of 3,600 RPM. The reasons are:
1) at 1,800 rpm you will remove 1/2 the amount of metal from your tool than
you will with a 3,600
2) if you make a mistake, it's 1/2 as bad.

I also recommend a 1" wide wheel. Often you will see inexpensive grinders offered in home stores etc. and they will have a 1/2" wide wheels. If you are using a 1" wide wheel, you are less likely to allow your tool to slide off the side of the wheel.

As far as wheels are concerned, the most-effective improvement you make to any wheel is to make it truly concentric to the axle of the grinder and perform this as they are mounted on the axle and at operating speed. This will significantly reduce grinder vibration, tool bounce and will improve the smoothness of the bevel and the edge of your tools. It also eliminates the need to balance your wheels. "Geiger's Wheel Truing and Dressing Solution" does an excellent job of truing the wheels, leveling the aggregate to produce smoother bevels on your tools and it de-glazes the wheels. Using it also eliminates the need for a wheel balancer. If you want to learn more go to: www.geigerssolutions.com.

Don Geiger

Don't know about anyone else, but I sure can't think of much of anything good to say Delta tools........ I know I won't buy anything that says Delta anymore.

Back