• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Berea, Kentucky

After watching a DVD on Rude Osolnik my wife and I are thinking about a trip to Berea, Kentucky. Seems some years ago older friends of her's suggested she go there to college. Looks like a neat area.

Has anyone been there and if so any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave f.

Berea KY is a college town and horses. Farming community with deep pockets by that i mean there has been money there for many years. My family used to drive thru there when i was a kid on old US25. The town and houses are historic and beautiful.

Berea is a neat place to visit with several galleries, craft shops, and artisans in the general area. I've spent many days there looking around and enjoying the small town atmosphere, as well as, spending time with Rude Osolnik before he passed away.
It's worth visiting if you're in the area. Be sure to check out the Artisan Center just off the interstate, second Berea exit going towards Lexington.

Berea College

I lived in KY for 6 years. I believe that arts/crafts are part of the required curriculum. Check out their website for details. BTW, the school has a good reputation.

I have visited Berea many times. Years ago it was a very friendly place to stop in and visit the artisans in their shops. Brian Boggs was in a converted school house when I first visited him. There was Kelly Mehler, Warren May, and many others. It was heaven for me. Not so much for the wife and kids! I don't think it is still like that, but still a great place to visit. There is also a shaker village near, that may make the visit even nicer, but I have never been to it.
http://www.shakervillageky.org/

Kentucky

If you are doing some sight-seeing, go up I-75 north of Lexington and stop in at the Kentucky Horse Park. Well worth the time. Kentucky is known for fast horses and pretty women. Or is it the other way around?:confused:

berea, ky

just south of berea, about 20 miles on either us 25 or I-75 is renfro valley, ky. there are country music shows of some sort almost every night of the week. right next to the renfro valley theaters is kentucky's country music hall of fame. well worth the visit if you are a country music fan.

just south of berea, about 20 miles on either us 25 or I-75 is renfro valley, ky. there are country music shows of some sort almost every night of the week. right next to the renfro valley theaters is kentucky's country music hall of fame. well worth the visit if you are a country music fan.

Boy does that bring back some childhood memories
Saw Minnie Pearl and Grandpa Jones live there......somewhere between my 10-12 years.
1969 broke an exhaust pipe flange off my old dodge wagon there at that exit....so you might say I've been there done that.:D

Ray,

Poverty Ridge is a few miles from Berea, can't remember the road name. It's part of a large track of land, so the price is accordingly. I haven't heard anything about it being sold. Contact Joe Osolnik, Osolnik Machinery in Berea. He has a website.

Back