• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Best places to look for a used lathe

I have been looking on-line for a solid used lathe. I am amazed that there seem to be very few listings that I can find. I have looked on the AAW forum listings, Craigslist, Ebay and newspapers and just don't seem to find much. Does anyone have other suggestions as to where to search. I currently have a Jet 1014, but would like a larger solid 16" minimum throw lathe. I don't know if this should be in the wtb forum, but I am not asking for sales offers, I am looking for suggestions on places to look.

In addition to the sources you mentioned, you also might consider OWWM.org.
http://www.owwm.org/viewforum.php?f=4. This link is to the For Sale/WTB section of the forum. Posting a WTB there could be productive.

Happy turning,

Tom

Ron, I think one of the things you might be running into is the fact that for a lot of folks, once they have the 16"+ lathe, they are done upgrading, and thus you don't see a lot of used lathes in that size range available.

Have you tried any local turning clubs? The members might have some leads on used machines.

Used Lathe

Ron,
You posted in the right place. You are already doing everything you can do. Now, you have to be patient. Although I agree with Vaughn's comment for the most part, there are fewer of the big lathes that show up used, but they do show up if you are willing to wait for them.

Another idea is to check out club websites in the surrounding states. Many of them have a classifieds listing on their site. Also, since there are so few available, be willing to pay some freight costs if you have to. It may help get you the lathe of your dreams.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Ron

I suggest adding your location to your profile or add it to your post.

If you lived in Central Florida, I'd suggest joining one of the local clubs

In the past month Powermatic 3520A, Nichols, and jet1642 have come on the market. These generally don't last long. These were e-mailed to members of 4-5 local that have an e-mail network.

If you lived in Baltimore, I'd suggest visiting Skarie. They usually have used lathes. They often give a trade ins or purchase entire shops.

you can contact local AAW chapters, check Craig's list.
Happy turning
Al

I placed a "wanted" ad on craigslist and had 2 different people contact me within 2 weeks with great deals.

Back