• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Big lathe question(s)

I am planning on building a lathe for big bowls (36"). Will a regular chuck work, or do they make bigger wood chucks? Any advice on big turnings is welcome!

For something that big I'd say face plate. If you're locked into a chuck for some reason then Vicmarc has a big VM150 and huge jaws to go with it.

i do not do much big stuff, but if you build a lathe, a chuck is fine if you have a tailstock,, if no tailstock then definitely use a face plate for big stuff

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Ditto the faceplate. I've turned 19" bowls with the VM100 chuck. I'm sure the 150 would do larger work but if it ever did come out you would really be in trouble. If your building a bowl lathe and don't have a tailstock then a faceplate would definitely be safer.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Ditto on the faceplate.

Work up to the larger pieces. Do 3-4'14" bowls , 3-4'18" bowls3-4 24" bowls, 3-4 30" bowls Then go for the 36" bowls.

Bigger pieces - slower speeds

Everything is exaggerated in larger pieces
Flats in the curves. Undulations in the surface all stand out more in a large piece where they are easily overlooked or harder to see in a small piece.

Big pieces are hard to do poorly and doubly hard to do well. takes a lot of practice.

Lots of folks want to turn big pieces and everyone should do something big once or twice.... Markets for large pieces are limited.
You can't give them away because most people don't want to dedicate half a room to to showcasing them.

Be safe! Have fun

Last edited:
Website
www.revolvingarts.ca
Bill,

Did you see the 39" lathe for sale posted recently on the forum?

http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?11872-Selling-my-huge-Nichols-lathe

A 39" bowl? Maybe there's a market for high-end baby baths!

I haven't done 39", but have done 28+"
http://www.olafvogel.com/large-platters.html

At that size, things get "interesting"....
Especially if anything is off balance which is extremely likely.

I use a 16" faceplate for starting off. To mount that, I use a plywood template that's screwed onto the blank, a few washers to get it flat. Then run a router in the template. That gives me a flat, round surface to screw the faceplate to.

Pieces that large need a hoist to get onto the lathe. An overhead beam trolly works well.

Starting one of those is a humbling experience. An electric chainsaw is great for hacking off pieces to get "sort of" round. An air chisel helps too.

Once its balanced, I use 4" jaws on a Oneway Stronghold. I've looked at their larger jaws, but they lack the serrations which gives them great bite. No issues so far. Just really crank it down hard.
I would consider a tailstock essential for most of the turning, until you get the weight far down and its balanced.

Moultroupe is one to look at. I think all his turning are faceplate, no tailstock.
He doesn't disclose much info.

If you build your own lathe, there would be quite a few challenges to overcome.
Gearing, torque, speed control, strength, WEIGHT (lots of concrete IMO)

I've thought about it, accumulated most of the mechanical parts, but not (yet) actually built one.
Maybe this year....

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
Wow, Olaf, that's cool! Definitely unique. Thanks for sharing.

16" feels pretty big to me, so I can only imagine 28". Reminds me of boats. I have a 36' sailboat. My folks had a 45' sailboat—same designer, same builder, built at the same time. Their boat, at 9' longer and 2' wider weighs twice as much and probably costs well over twice new.

It's inspiring to me that turners continue to challenge themselves. And what a tribute to great wood.

Once its balanced, I use 4" jaws on a Oneway Stronghold. I've looked at their larger jaws, but they lack the serrations which gives them great bite. No issues so far. Just really crank it down hard.

The number 5 aluminum jaws I use have serrations. Pretty sure the #6 aluminum jaws are also serrated now.

Been reading this thread with much interest. A 39 inch bowl would be great for an ice cream snack while watching the ballgame. :eek:

faceplates

Google lyle jamieson. He routinely turns very large items and never uses a chuck. Has some good info on how to turn without chucks
Good luck:rolleyes:

I am planning on building a lathe for big bowls (36"). Will a regular chuck work, or do they make bigger wood chucks? Any advice on big turnings is welcome!

If you do decide to go with a chuck I would use a Vicmark VM150 with the 9 inch Mega Dovetail Jaw Set.

James

Back