• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bless the AAW and Mentors!

Oh, my, it was a great afternoon. Spent 5 whole hours at Mr. Mentor's shop, we exchanged backgrounds, went through my tools (got a good grade on sharpening!:cool:), compared this tool and that, and then turned the big Oneway lathe on. He rough-turned a greenish cherry bowl so I could get an overview of his process, then put that maple bowl of mine on the lathe (turned green way back when, now dry). Learned some things about mounting and cleaning up a not-round dry bowl. As expected, turning the inside was the big challenge, but finally got some pretty clean cuts from rim to center, all work done with 3/8" Schweitzer bowl gouge, then to scraper for cleaning up some rough spots and evening things out. I'll finish up with that process at home, and then sand and finish.

I don't know if there are any other Newbies out there (never see their names here, sadly -- get tired of seeing my own:rolleyes:), but hey! if you are out there, join up! What a great organization and supportive group of people!

Pictures later. Exhausted. But the Seattle Mariners are winning tonight -- will enjoy it, 'cause it doesn't happen often enough!

Oh, my, it was a great afternoon. Spent 5 whole hours at Mr. Mentor's shop, we exchanged backgrounds, went through my tools (got a good grade on sharpening!:cool:), compared this tool and that, and then turned the big Oneway lathe on. He rough-turned a greenish cherry bowl so I could get an overview of his process, then put that maple bowl of mine on the lathe (turned green way back when, now dry). Learned some things about mounting and cleaning up a not-round dry bowl. As expected, turning the inside was the big challenge, but finally got some pretty clean cuts from rim to center, all work done with 3/8" Schweitzer bowl gouge, then to scraper for cleaning up some rough spots and evening things out. I'll finish up with that process at home, and then sand and finish.

I don't know if there are any other Newbies out there (never see their names here, sadly -- get tired of seeing my own:rolleyes:), but hey! if you are out there, join up! What a great organization and supportive group of people!

Pictures later. Exhausted. But the Seattle Mariners are winning tonight -- will enjoy it, 'cause it doesn't happen often enough!

I've been working primarily with two mentors from our local club (they both happen to be national AAW members too--but I got to know them from our local club). I've benefited greatly from their help.

I'm still not at the point where I'm willing to make pieces for the purpose of bandsawing them to see how good my walls are, though.

(never see their names here, sadly -- get tired of seeing my own:rolleyes:), enough!

You see your name because you get answers to questions. I haven't been able to get a response to my questions. I was here a few years ago and it was the same way. I went away and when I came back I found it's the same. I read the board, but if I need info I go to a different forum where the people are nicer and are helpful.

you see one's name all the time

Jamie,

I'm very much a beginner at traditional wood turning. I have far more hours in on metal lathes and a billiard cue building lathe which is a specialized piece of equipment. One reason I can relate well and answer some beginner questions, I started traditional turning not that long ago and one thing or another keeps me from having the hours in I would like. When I have general questions I usually post them on the main forum. Beginner questions I post in this section, sometimes.

"Newbie" is often used as a derogatory term. I suspect others are like me and don't particularly care to identify as a newbie. Newcomers Forum would be much more attractive I suspect. In the past I have launched a barrage of posts on some forums just to get the disliked "Newbie" designation to go away from next to my user name. Silly to have over forty years in doing something and look at "newbie" next to my name on some forums and have some treat me as a know nothing kid.

While I see the "old guard" here get heated with each other sometimes I have always found them very helpful as you have. I suspect it is all in how people are approached. No idea what Joe's issues are and I have to get out to the shop and cut up a few hundred blanks for a Freedom Pen turnathon later this month at my local club. Not sure if I can make the event but if not I'll still contribute to the effort.

Hu

I enjoy mentoring as much as I do turning. Started out as a Newbie long enough ago that I don't think that name was much in use. In my days as a hang glider pilot, we called them 'Wuffo's' as in wuffo you doing that fo??? The hands on sessions are great.

Hy, I have never bandsawn a bowl in half to check how thick it is, or how even the wall thickness is. Don't want to waste a $30 or so bowl....

Jamie, it is refreshing that you are not afraid to ask questions. That is how we learn. My first experiences on the turning forums were learning. Now I try to answer the questions.

I have no idea where Joe's response is coming from. I can't think of a single forum where people are not anxious to answer questions. This is not the most active forum, but all seem to enjoy the teaching aspect.

robo hippy

I enjoy mentoring as much as I do turning. Started ouidea either. as a Newbie long enough ago that I don't think that name was much in use. In my days as a hang glider pilot, we called them 'Wuffo's' as in wuffo you doing that fo??? The hands on sessions are great.

Hy, I have never bandsawn a bowl in half to check how thick it is, or how even the wall thickness is. Don't want to waste a $30 or so bowl....

Jamie, it is refreshing that you are not afraid to ask questions. That is how we learn. My first experiences on the turning forums were learning. Now I try to answer the questions.

I have no idea where Joe's response is coming from. I can't think of a single forum where people are not anxious to answer questions. This is not the most active forum, but all seem to enjoy the teaching aspect.

robo hippy

I looked at Joe's profile and found zero started threads or posts, so have no idea either:confused: Perhaps the database doesn't go back far enough to show his threads/posts.

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Some questions just don't have satisfactory answers ...

You see your name because you get answers to questions. I haven't been able to get a response to my questions. I was here a few years ago and it was the same way. I went away and when I came back I found it's the same. I read the board, but if I need info I go to a different forum where the people are nicer and are helpful.

Back in January of this year, Joe had some questions about his Delta 1440 lathe (model 46-715), which happened to be my first lathe. I shared my sad experiences with that lathe in this Delta Pulley Fix thread, but unfortunately that was all that I had to offer. Not all problems have a happy solution.

Newbie definitions are variable

Jamie,

I'm very much a beginner at traditional wood turning. I have far more hours in on metal lathes and a billiard cue building lathe which is a specialized piece of equipment. One reason I can relate well and answer some beginner questions, I started traditional turning not that long ago and one thing or another keeps me from having the hours in I would like. When I have general questions I usually post them on the main forum. Beginner questions I post in this section, sometimes.

"Newbie" is often used as a derogatory term. I suspect others are like me and don't particularly care to identify as a newbie. Newcomers Forum would be much more attractive I suspect. In the past I have launched a barrage of posts on some forums just to get the disliked "Newbie" designation to go away from next to my user name. Silly to have over forty years in doing something and look at "newbie" next to my name on some forums and have some treat me as a know nothing kid.

While I see the "old guard" here get heated with each other sometimes I have always found them very helpful as you have. I suspect it is all in how people are approached. No idea what Joe's issues are and I have to get out to the shop and cut up a few hundred blanks for a Freedom Pen turnathon later this month at my local club. Not sure if I can make the event but if not I'll still contribute to the effort.

Hu

Yeah, I think "Newbie" is a variably-defined word depending on which forum you're on. Here at AAW, I take it as "new to turning" and try to post accordingly. Don't want to litter the main forum with truly basic questions. I'm fairly knowledgeable about woodworking in general, power tools, etc. Still assembling the foundation for turning though:D

[Snip]
I'm still not at the point where I'm willing to make pieces for the purpose of bandsawing them to see how good my walls are, though.

I would never!:eek: Unless I got to the point where it only took 20 minutes to turn one, and it was junk wood. And I'd had too much to drink.;);)

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'm always amazed at how few people take me up on the mentoring program. there are 3 of us in our club who signed up as mentors. The other 2 guys get a little more response, probably because they are closer. I'm about 20 miles from anyone. Sorry Joe had a bad experience. I try to answer all I can. Could have been the type of question he asked. Jamie's questions are to the point and fairly easy to answer.

been considering some happy solutions . . .

Back in January of this year, Joe had some questions about his Delta 1440 lathe (model 46-715), which happened to be my first lathe. I shared my sad experiences with that lathe in this Delta Pulley Fix thread, but unfortunately that was all that I had to offer. Not all problems have a happy solution.

Bill,

I have been considering some happy solutions to part with my no longer needed Craftsman lathe. Most of them involve HE or a friend's 50BMG rifle. Pretty wasteful so I'll probably wind up keeping it as a sanding motor or sell it cheap.

Hu

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Hu A friend and I used to do camera repair. We took a few cameras out to the field one day and shot them full of holes. Man did that feel good. Relieved a lot of stress. I shot an Iphone about a year ago. It won't stop a 30/30 even remotely. :)

I wanna too!

Hu A friend and I used to do camera repair. We took a few cameras out to the field one day and shot them full of holes. Man did that feel good. Relieved a lot of stress. I shot an Iphone about a year ago. It won't stop a 30/30 even remotely. :)

Oh, I would love to shoot an iPhone. iAnything!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

Did you have it set to record a selfie as the bullet approached? The question would be whether the video would make it to the Cloud before the iPhone itself went to bit heaven.

John, that is a really interesting comment. I am on the mentor list for 3 area clubs, and almost never have any of the locals come by. Best guess is that they may feel that they are 'imposing'. Heck, I am retired, and out in the shop most of the time anyway.

robo hippy

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Reed I like to think it's because they think they might be imposing but in reality it's probably because they just have other things to do and don't find turning as important as we do. I do have a couple coming over after I get the shop up and running. They are at John C Campbell folk school right now turning for a week to get their feet wet. Over the years I've only had one guy come over a few times and I think that's just because he's lonely and doesn't want to mess up his shop.

I haven't started any new threads and I did have a discussion about my Delta lathe. On 07-28-2015, 10:26 AM I asked a question about gouges in a thread Jamie started about gouges and received no replies. I went somewhere else and got the info I needed.

I don't remember what my user name or profile was when I was here previously.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Joe Well I'll apologize. I try to be as helpful as I can but somedays you just don't really have a good answer or I'm rushed and can't answer the way I should. Ask away and we will certainly try to help.

I haven't started any new threads and I did have a discussion about my Delta lathe. On 07-28-2015, 10:26 AM I asked a question about gouges in a thread Jamie started about gouges and received no replies. I went somewhere else and got the info I needed.

Joe, I will humbly suggest that you re-post your question as a standalone thread here or in the Main Forum. It could be that it just got lost in the flow around the original question of the thread I started. There's no doubt in my mind that the folks who are active here at AAW are interested in helping with any turning problem that comes up. Personally, I try not to assume the worst when a friend or colleague doesn't get back to me about something. We all have busy lives, whether or not we're retired.:)

John, that is a really interesting comment. I am on the mentor list for 3 area clubs, and almost never have any of the locals come by. Best guess is that they may feel that they are 'imposing'. Heck, I am retired, and out in the shop most of the time anyway.

robo hippy

I'm always amazed at how few people take me up on the mentoring program. there are 3 of us in our club who signed up as mentors. The other 2 guys get a little more response, probably because they are closer. I'm about 20 miles from anyone. Sorry Joe had a bad experience. I try to answer all I can. Could have been the type of question he asked. Jamie's questions are to the point and fairly easy to answer.

Well, if you both move to the Kitsap Peninsula, I'll keep you busy.:D:D My memory's so bad these days, I think everything takes twice as much exposure to learn than it should!

Main thing about lessons is to go home and practice before you forget. "You can teach an old dog new tricks. Problem is that they don't remember for very long." Been there, done that, more than once... I hope to get back up that way for another demo some day. Had a great time. Maybe later next summer for a saw dust session, and bring my chainsaw chopsaw...

robo hippy

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

Just wondering how your Delta lathe is doing if you still have it. My rebuild stalled after getting my Robust and now it is just taking up valuable space as a shop queen.

If you could recall your previous username (I don't think that password is necessary), we would be able to connect the two accounts together.

I looked back to see the question that you had about the grind on a Thompson bowl gouge being a traditional grind. From a visibility perspective, I think that asking a question in a thread that starts out on another topic runs the risk of not being noticed by many people. And it is probably very subjective to say what is or isn't a traditional grind. Perhaps the question might have a more definitive answer if talking about a continental style gouge. But, with modern gouges made from round bar stock that have only been around for forty years or so, there are about as many grinds as there are woodturners. And, with so many different flute shapes, there probably isn't a clear answer ... at least, not that I know of.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I haven't started any new threads and I did have a discussion about my Delta lathe. On 07-28-2015, 10:26 AM I asked a question about gouges in a thread Jamie started about gouges and received no replies. I went somewhere else and got the info I needed. I don't remember what my user name or profile was when I was here previously.
Joe, I will also say I'm sorry you had a bad experience.
Sometimes posts get "lost" in a larger thread. Starting a new thread focused on a particular issue will ensure it gets noticed.
Also this forum sort of has peaks and valleys of activity.

Al

Joe Well I'll apologize. I try to be as helpful as I can but somedays you just don't really have a good answer or I'm rushed and can't answer the way I should. Ask away and we will certainly try to help.
Joe, I will humbly suggest that you re-post your question as a standalone thread here or in the Main Forum. It could be that it just got lost in the flow around the original question of the thread I started. There's no doubt in my mind that the folks who are active here at AAW are interested in helping with any turning problem that comes up. Personally, I try not to assume the worst when a friend or colleague doesn't get back to me about something. We all have busy lives, whether or not we're retired.:)
I looked back to see the question that you had about the grind on a Thompson bowl gouge being a traditional grind. From a visibility perspective, I think that asking a question in a thread that starts out on another topic runs the risk of not being noticed by many people. And it is probably very subjective to say what is or isn't a traditional grind. Perhaps the question might have a more definitive answer if talking about a continental style gouge. But, with modern gouges made from round bar stock that have only been around for forty years or so, there are about as many grinds as there are woodturners. And, with so many different flute shapes, there probably isn't a clear answer ... at least, not that I know of.

Joe, I will also say I'm sorry you had a bad experience.
Sometimes posts get "lost" in a larger thread. Starting a new thread focused on a particular issue will ensure it gets noticed.
Also this forum sort of has peaks and valleys of activity. Al

Thanks for the apologies. And I wasn’t trying to “stir the pot†or fishing for apologies. I also understand the risk or posing with in a post and I almost started a new one, but it was a gouges question in a thread about gouges. When the discussion turned to something completely different, the weather perhaps (?), I went somewhere else and got the info I needed. Next time I’ll take your advice and start a new thread.

Thanks

Just wondering how your Delta lathe is doing if you still have it. My rebuild stalled after getting my Robust and now it is just taking up valuable space as a shop queen.

My Delta is gone. I found someone that wanted the headstock and I sold it and shipped it to him. The I sold and shipped the tailstock and hauled the rest of it to a metal recycler.

I now have a Jet 1642EVS and I like it quite a bit.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
My Delta is gone. I found someone that wanted the headstock and I sold it and shipped it to him. The I sold and shipped the tailstock and hauled the rest of it to a metal recycler.

I now have a Jet 1642EVS and I like it quite a bit.

I keep thinking that I will do something with my Delta, but I probably ought to just get rid of it. I do have it propping up some plywood so it isn't totally useless. :rolleyes:

I keep thinking that I will do something with my Delta, but I probably ought to just get rid of it. I do have it propping up some plywood so it isn't totally useless. :rolleyes:

I have an old table saw I need to get rid of, but I found out it makes a nice collection table and before I get rid of it I need to move all the stuff that's stacked up.

This guy is looking for a headstock. I sold mine for not much and the buyer paid shipping. Per Fed-Ex it weighed 99.9LBS, so even ground shipping wasn't cheap.

http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?11682-Delta-46-745&highlight=delta+lathe

Cheers for couter space...

I have an old table saw I need to get rid of, but I found out it makes a nice collection table and before I get rid of it I need to move all the stuff that's stacked up.
[Snip]

Joe, you could turn it into an incredibly stable disc sander.:D I'm with you, though -- my Unisaw has the long, long table, and I almost cut it down to save space in the shop. Then I figured out that it makes a great work-counter opposite the lathe, don't know what I'd do without it! Here's the layout, really a mess today 'cause I had to dump the tool rests out of their box. Three cheers for horizontal surfaces.:p

Shop shot.jpg

Joe, you could turn it into an incredibly stable disc sander.:D I'm with you, though -- my Unisaw has the long, long table, and I almost cut it down to save space in the shop. Then I figured out that it makes a great work-counter opposite the lathe, don't know what I'd do without it! Here's the layout, really a mess today 'cause I had to dump the tool rests out of their box. Three cheers for horizontal surfaces.:p

View attachment 8797

Yeah, but I'd still have to clear the top and that's the greatest challenge.

Back