• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bowl Finishes

Hello,
I just started turning bowls but have been making pens since March 2006. I like the CA finish even for bowls but I do get small "CA lines" in the finish. I use Triple E and Shellawax after the CA just like I do for my pens.

I am looking for some tips that will keep me from getting the "CA lines" in my finish as I do like CA; however, I am open to some other ideas for finishes. I apply the CA with a paper towel and a piece of plastic between my fingers and the paper towel. I tried the shellawax paste but was not very impressed.

The drying time is also a problem for bowls, but I have mixed Thin and Thick CA at a 4/6 ratio and this has extended my drying time on them so I think that I have or can "lick" this problem.

Does anyone have any ideas (probably a stupid question) on how I can get rid of the CA lines or short of that have some ideas for other finishes that will give me a similar look. Please advise.
Thank you,
Jay

Back