• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bowl gouge sharpening question

I have a new P&N 5/8" bowl gouge and would like some help with a grinding problem. For description purposes I am going to call the very end of the gouge the nose and the side areas the cheeks. I have been experimenting with different nose angles and have found a pretty comfortable one. However, when grinding the cheeks I can not seem to get a smooth straight edge. I keep getting a dip (or depression) somewhere between the nose and the end of the cheek where it comes back into the rest of the tool. And just for more information I am using an 8" slow speed grinder with the Oneway Wolverine grinding system.

Any help would be appreciated.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I just made a video answering that problem a few weeks ago. Hope this helps. You have to grind longer on the high points and not grind on the low points of the gouge. What I do is sort of glide lightly over the low points and then slow down and let the grinder do it's thing on the higher areas of the wings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9G16ylEZHQ

Back