• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bowl hunting on vacation

The wife and I just spent a week vacationing in northern New Mexico. While in and out of galleries and museums, I was constantly on the hunt for wooden bowls. Most of the bowls I found were clay/pottery, but I still took loads of pictures of these for my "inspiration" files.

I was delighted when I came upon a beautiful collection of wood bowls/vessels in a gallery on Canyon Road. The artist was AAW member Jim McLain and some of the pieces shown there are in our gallery here. Jim's work is just fantastic and I was very happy to see it on display. Normally, I'm urging my wife to "move on", but in this case, she almost had to drag me out of that gallery. Kudos, Jim.

Jim McLain

Artist
Website
www.lucadecor.com
John - Thanks for the kind words. I have been with Marigold Arts since 2003 through two owners and really like what they have done for me. Really great location and they give me a nice space to show my pieces although I wish it was spread out a little more like it was under the original owner.

What city? Didn't see in on the link. Thanks.

This was in Santa Fe. Canyon Road is a 1/2 mile strip of art galleries. I found three places with turned work (but there could have been more). There was Jim's bowls/vessels and another place had some interesting turned vessels made from epoxy-cast tree limbs. The last gallery had some fascinating turned pieces made from alabaster. The artist, William Pickerd, actually turned blocks of alabaster on a lathe and trimmed the resulting bowls with segmented wood rings.

We were in Santa Fe for only about 90 minutes. Our grandson recommended a restaurant there. We ate lunch and went on to Las Vega, NM and then discovered Fort Union through a recommendation of a local fellow. It was a great vacation- saw our grandson play baseball in Albuquerque and see a touch of Western history! Got to go to Lincoln and Fort Stanton. I told the Mrs. that it would be great to start in NE NM and work our way to the border, taking about three weeks to cover it all in one swoop.

Back