• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bowl Steady Rest plans?

Does anyone have plans for a Bowl Steady Rest? Looking for a design similar to the Oneway's with three skateboard wheels on adjustable arms, but made from plywood. Seem like I saw one here last year but can't find it now. :eek:

Thanks, Bruce

Made one meself without plans. Basically, a large circle of plywood with three arms (also plywood) and rollerblade wheels on the ends. In retrospect, would have made one side or the bottom hinged so's I can put it on with the piece on the lathe. Only other suggestion is to use thick plywood and to use multiple bolts and wingnuts to hold each arm.

Dietrich

Steady rest.

Thanks guys. I appreciate your quick response. Dominic's verison is the one I saw a while back. I like his design as it looks like it can be used for both spindles and bowls.

Bruce McElhaney
Cold & Snowy in
Spring Lake, Michigan

I built a steady rest from a plan that Herman deVries posted on another web site. It is a very solid piece of equipment. I think (hope) that I have added two pictures of it to this post.
Good luck
Norm

Last edited:
Sorry Walt, I spent 45 minutes trying to figure this thing out on how to add an attachment. I thought that I had added them twice but you can see the results. I am embarrised I can email them to you if you like.
Norm

Back