• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

broekn fingers and rocks

Anyone ever try and turn with a broken finger? If you have been able to do it successfully do you have any suggesttions? I caught a small rock in a blank and it yanked the skew from my grasp and then managed to break the handle across my finger and pinned it to the tool rest.

I am used to finding stray bnits of metal in some trees like locust and osage, but a 5" diamter rock (which may well be a geode by its looks) inside oak stump wood was new on me.

I got mauled by a bull in May and spent about 2 months in a cast then a plastic brace with a broken thumb (2 pins) - right where it connects to the wrist. I was able to do a little turning after getting out of the cast by wrapping tape around the brace to prevent any of the velcro connectors from being "grabbed".

I found it a very awkward situation. The vibrations from the turning also caused bad pain and soreness in the broken bone. I managed to do enough turning not to go into withdrawal but am still not up to full speed. Even now after the Dr. has turned me loose, I was told it would take a year to get full strength and use back in the hand.

Just be very careful of anything the Dr. has put on in the way of cast or splint that could get caught in the lathe while it is turning.

Wilford

I haven't had a piece of wet wood with a rock in it, that kind of surprises me, been lucky I guess, or pick limbs/logs higher in the tree...Dennis

Website
www.cswwoodworks.com
amazing

It never ceases to amaze me at how addictive our chosen hobby/profession is. How many other craftspeople do you know who will ignore the pain caused them by their machinery to get back at it while still recovering? I do have to admit, that I am in this catagory as most of us are. Good thing superglue acts as a great bandaid for large wounds!

Interestingly enough my Dr has me out of work and restricted from the shop till after my surgury, Getting a torn rotater cuff fixed. He doesn't want it to get any worse then it is now. I'ts been a couple weeks now and though I want to go turn I know I can't, What really makes it hard is I was at a friends the other day and he bought a used oneway, talk about hard running your hands over those smooth lines and not being able to play

A 5 inch rock? just how big a piece of wood where you working on with that skew?

Back